1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Triangle

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    4602413392_cb6eacea6b.jpg

MY ATTEMPT:

gPE to KE - Water in waterfall
    KE to gPE - Climbing mountain
    Strain to KE - Firing an arrow
    KE to Strain - Trebuchet being wound back
    Strain to gPE - ????
    gPE to Strain - ?????

It is the last 2 for which I really cannot think of instances in life - PLEASE help me out!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi yeah:)! :smile:
    I don't really like these answers …

when you climb a mountain (or a ladder), the force from your muscles is immediately converted to gPE … saying that it temporarily becomes KE is missing the point.

Same thing for the trebuchet … your muscles immediately increase the strain in the trebuchet.
    erm … that's cheating! :redface:

it's the same as pulling a bow, which the question has ruled out (the arrow itself has no strain, does it? so the strain is in the bow :wink:)

Try to think of an example where horizontal motion of one thing is converted into strain of another thing (or vice versa). :smile:
    Try the others again first. :smile:

4. May 19, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Yeah:)! :smile:
    What's kinetic about that? If a cat jumping comes from strain (your last example), doesn't all muscular activity?
    Yes. :smile:
    yes, but why a paper airplane … it's almost the only thing that wouldn't necessarily lose height to start with! :wink:
    Why not just throw it up!? :wink:
    You're not a grasshopper or a frog … I know the brain etc can put human muscles into strain, but I don't think external forces can.

Why not just step onto scales?
    I suppose so. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook