Understanding Different Energy Types: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter mather
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the source of pressure in a gas is the impact force exerted by the molecules on the container walls.
mather said:
I think they won't be able to interact, if they are separated in such a huge distance

their electrostatic fields have some finite diameter, haven't they?

No, the EM field has infinite range.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
If we separate a proton and an electron by a HUGE distance in an empty universe, they will have maximum potential energy.

this is wrong:

potential energy is inversely (and not directly) dependent upon distance

so in a distance near infinite, the potential energy will nears zero

isn't, then, there, a point where the potential energy will be less than the energy of a possible interaction?

mather said:
this is wrong:

potential energy is inversely (and not directly) dependent upon distance

so in a distance near infinite, the potential energy will nears zero

isn't, then, there, a point where the potential energy will be less than the energy of a possible interaction?

You should be more careful with your labels of "wrong".
The fact that the potential energy is zero at infinite is a matter of choosing the reference point but it is the usual choice . The fact that it decreases when the distance decreases is independent of the reference point. Then how can the zero value be a maximum? What values are less than zero?

mather said:
this is wrong:
It is not wrong. For attracting particles the greater the separation the greater the potential energy. You may be getting this mixed up with potential which by convention is taken to be zero at an infinite separation.

Dadface said:
It is not wrong. For attracting particles the greater the separation the greater the potential energy. You may be getting this mixed up with potential which by convention is taken to be zero at an infinite separation.

I am talking about electrostatic potential energy:

2b3b1201e0b320ab59d5800911be4a83.png

mather said:

Everyone here does too, I suppose.
Not put q1=e and q2=-e.
What happens with W when r decreases?

okay, but doesn't this prove you wrong?
WNBkj.png

I suppose you forgot your own words:

mather said:

Your plot does not show that.

nasu said:
I suppose you forgot your own words:

Your plot does not show that.

you mean that dissociation energy has nothing to do with electrostatical potential energy?

mather said:
you mean that dissociation energy has nothing to do with electrostatical potential energy?

"has nothing to do" is a little too vague.
Let's put it this way: the Morse potential is not the electrostatic potential mentioned in your previous post. It contains a repulsive term which becomes very large at close approach. This term is not part of the electrostatic potential energy.
The distinction between the attractive, electrostatic, term and the repulsive terms is easier to see if you look at another common potential function, the Lenard-Jones potential.

However the energy at large distance (infinite) is higher than the energy in the bound state (minimum of the potential).
What was actually the problem?