How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Distance in Physics Problems?

In summary: But also for gravitational potential energy.Yes. But also for gravitational potential energy.In summary, a 1480 kg car accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 95km/h in 6 s. To calculate the car's acceleration, the equation v2 = v1 + at was rearranged to find a = (v2 - v1) / t, resulting in an acceleration of 15.83m/s². To determine the distance traveled during this acceleration, the equation d = v1t + 1/2at² was used, resulting in a distance of 79.2m. The amount of work done by the car can be calculated using the formula f = m * a, as
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

"A 1480 kg car accelerates uniformly from a position of rest to a speed of 95km/h in 6 s?"

1) calculate the cars acceleration
2) determine how far the car traveled during this acceleration
3) determine how much work was done by the car during the 6s
4) identify what power was developed during this process

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + at
d = v1t + 1/2at²
d = v2 - 1/2at²
work = force / distance or w = f / d
power = work / time or p = w / t
f = m * g

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I rearranged v2 = v1 + at to a = v2 - v1 / t to find power
so
95km/h - 0km/h / 6s = 95km/h / 6s = 15.83m/s²
Therefore the acceleration of the car should be 15.83m/s²

2) This is where I am stuck.
I would assume I need to use the equation d = v1t + 1/2at²
so
d = 0 * 6 + 1/2 * 15.83 * (6)²
from this i get 284.94m[/B]

I usually check online for the answers after I am done my work but none of the online sources I am finding match my answers for question 2. The answer I am finding online is 79.167. Would anybody be able to tell me if both of the answers for question 1 and 2 are correct?
Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to keep better track of your units. km/hr divided by s doesn't give m/s^2. Try converting the 95 km/hr into m/s.

Ahh I completely missed that. so 95km/h becomes 26.39m/s

1) so now 26.39m/s / 6s = 4.4 so acceleration is now 4.4m/s^2

2) d = 1/2 * 4.4 * (6)^2
d = 79.2m

To determine the amount of work done by the car, how do I know which formula to use to calculate the force? There is f = m * g and then f = m * a

ElegantSir said:
To determine the amount of work done by the car, how do I know which formula to use to calculate the force? There is f = m * g and then f = m * a
The question ought to state this, but I think you can assume it's a horizontal motion.

haruspex said:
The question ought to state this, but I think you can assume it's a horizontal motion.
Thank you for the reply. I ended up calculating both then checking which ones were correct online using various work, power, energy calculators to see if they matched the units of emasurement originally given by the equation. Turn outs f = m * a was correct!

ElegantSir said:
Thank you for the reply. I ended up calculating both then checking which ones were correct online using various work, power, energy calculators to see if they matched the units of emasurement originally given by the equation. Turn outs f = m * a was correct!
That's not going to help you solve such problems in general. You need to understand why ma is correct here. Did you understand my reply?

haruspex said:
That's not going to help you solve such problems in general. You need to understand why ma is correct here. Did you understand my reply?
Yes I understand. Since the car is moving horizontally and not vertically I can assume that the equation should be f = m * a. If the car were motionless then I would need to use f = m * g

ElegantSir said:
Yes I understand. Since the car is moving horizontally and not vertically I can assume that the equation should be f = m * a. If the car were motionless then I would need to use f = m * g
No, if the car were motionless then no work would be done, so you would not use either. When would you use g in finding work done?

haruspex said:
No, if the car were motionless then no work would be done, so you would not use either. When would you use g in finding work done?
Im assuming you would use g only if the car had vertical displacement then?

ElegantSir said:
Im assuming you would use g only if the car had vertical displacement then?
Yes.

1. What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is measured in joules (J) and can exist in many different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical.

2. How is energy related to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the use of energy to move an object. They are directly related, as work cannot be done without energy and energy is often transformed into work.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. Both forms of energy can be converted into each other.

4. How is power different from energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done. It is measured in watts (W) and is often described as the amount of work done per unit of time. Energy, on the other hand, is a measurement of the total amount of work done or potential for work.

5. How is energy efficiency calculated?

Energy efficiency is a measure of how much energy is used to perform a certain amount of work. It is calculated by dividing the useful energy output by the total energy input and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.