1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy, work and power

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    A mass of 1kg rests on a horizontal table. It is connected by a taut, light, inextensible string passing over a smooth fixed pulley, at the edge of the table, to another mass of 3kg hanging vertically. The 3kg mass it at a height of 0.5 metres above an inelastic floor when the system is released from rest. There is also a frictional resistance to the motion from the table of 0.5 N. Determine the total work done by the frictional force, assuming that the 1kg mass stop before reaching the pulley.

I've included a diagram I drew. Im not quite sure where to go with this question. Could you help me out?

The answer i'm looking for is 3.8625 J.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

verty

Homework Helper

This question is strange. I would think that if the frictional force is 0.5N and the box moved 0.5m, the work done by friction would be 0.25J.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?