1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy/work spring problem.

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass 1.20 kg is placed in contact with a spring with a force constant of k = 2.20 N/m. When released, the spring pushes the block and expands a distance of 0.420 meters. If the floor is frictionless, the speed of the block as it leaves the spring is ? m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    Elastic energy is Ue = .5kd2
    Energy in a block-spring system is E = .5kx2 + .5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well the problem is I haven't been able to get anywhere, because in my obviously incorrect thinking, if the block has yet to be released, then all the energy is potential, so E = Ue, but if E = Ue, then .5kx2 = 0, which can't be right. So, in short, I really don't know what I'm doing here. Am I using the wrong equations or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wecome to PF!
    When the block is not yet released, the spring is compressed by 0.420 m. So its initial PE is not 0.

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3
    I just solved it, but I think my problem was that I was calculating the initial potential energy while also calculating the final kinetic energy, but still using E = PE, so I ended up with zero on one side and .5mv^2 on the other. I'm not really sure why I did Kf and Ui at the same time, I guess I'm having an off day, haha. But thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook