Need Help Solving Physics Problem: Particle Moving on Frictionless Table

In summary, a particle of mass m is initially moving in a circle of radius R_0 with angular velocity w_0 on a frictionless horizontal table attached to a massless string. The string is pulled down through a hole until length R remains between the hole and the particle. Using conservation of angular momentum, the particle's angular velocity is now (R_0/R)^2*w_0. To calculate the work done pulling the string, one can use the work energy theorem or take the integral of F*dr, which results in (1/2)*m*w_0^2(r^2 - r_0^2). This is equivalent to the change in kinetic energy of the particle.
matpo39
hi, I am having a little trouble with the last part of this problem.

A particle of mass m is moving on a frictionless horizontal table and is attached to a massless string, whose other end passes through a hole in the table, where i am holding it. Initially the particle is moving in a circle of radius R_0 with angular velocity w_0, but i now pull the string down through the hole until length R remains between the whole and the particle. (a) what's the particles angular velocity now? (b) assuming that I pull the string slowly that we can approximate the particles path by a circle of slowly shrinking radius, calculate the work i did pulling the string.

i was able to get part a by using conservation of angular momentum and i got

w= (R_0/R)^2*w_0

for part b i know that to find the work done i need to take the integral of F.dr, but i and not really sure how i would set that up.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the work energy theorem, there's an easy answer.

Otherwise:
What is the tension in the string when the mass is at radius [tex]r_i[/tex]?
What force do you need to pull at to pull the mass in?

ok I got the tension to be
(m*v^2)/r_0 = m*r_0*w_0^2 = F

so the i took the intagral of (F*dr) evaluated at r_0 to r and got (1/2)*m*w_0^2(r^2 - r_0^2)

is this right? because change in KE = work and for change in KE i get

(1/2)*m[ (r*w)^2 - (r_0 *w_0) ^2] , which is close to the formula i was expecting to get.

Looks good to me.

1. How do I approach solving a physics problem involving a particle moving on a frictionless table?

First, you should draw a diagram of the situation with all relevant forces labeled. Then, use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to write out the equations of motion for the particle in the x and y directions. Finally, use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is the significance of a frictionless table in this type of problem?

A frictionless table eliminates the force of friction from the equations of motion, making the problem simpler to solve. This allows you to focus on the effects of other forces such as gravity or applied forces.

3. How do I determine the initial and final velocities in this type of problem?

The initial velocity can be given in the problem or can be assumed to be zero if the particle starts from rest. The final velocity can be calculated using the equations of motion and the known values for acceleration, time, and initial velocity.

4. Can I use conservation of energy in this type of problem?

Yes, conservation of energy can be a useful tool in solving problems involving a particle moving on a frictionless table. The total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of the particle will remain constant if there are no external forces acting on it.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all relevant forces, using incorrect signs for forces, and using the wrong equations for the given situation. It is also important to carefully define your coordinate system and stick to it throughout the problem. Checking your units and using the correct units in calculations is also crucial in getting the correct answer.