1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy work

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    hi, im having a little trouble with the last part of this problem.

A particle of mass m is moving on a frictionless horizontal table and is attached to a massless string, whose other end passes through a hole in the table, where i am holding it. Initially the particle is moving in a circle of radius R_0 with angular velocity w_0, but i now pull the string down through the hole until length R remains between the whole and the particle. (a) whats the particles angular velocity now? (b) assuming that I pull the string slowly that we can approximate the particles path by a circle of slowly shrinking radius, calculate the work i did pulling the string.

i was able to get part a by using conservation of angular momentum and i got

w= (R_0/R)^2*w_0

for part b i know that to find the work done i need to take the integral of F.dr, but i and not really sure how i would set that up.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know the work energy theorem, there's an easy answer.

What is the tension in the string when the mass is at radius [tex]r_i[/tex]?
    What force do you need to pull at to pull the mass in?
  4. Oct 6, 2004 #3
    ok I got the tension to be
    (m*v^2)/r_0 = m*r_0*w_0^2 = F

so the i took the intagral of (F*dr) evaluated at r_0 to r and got (1/2)*m*w_0^2(r^2 - r_0^2)

is this right? because change in KE = work and for change in KE i get

(1/2)*m[ (r*w)^2 - (r_0 *w_0) ^2] , which is close to the formula i was expecting to get.
  5. Oct 7, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?