1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy WorkTheorem

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    I am currently working on a problem that I do not know how to solve. It is on the Work-Energy theorem. I would really appreciate it if you could help. :D

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mv^2
    Potential Energy = mgh
    Work = Fd
    KE(initial) + PE(initial) = KE(final) + PE(final)

The height above the ground of a child on a swing varies from 50 cm at the lowest point to 200 cm at the highest point. The maximum speed of the child is?

A. about 5.4 m/s
    B. about 7.7 m/s
    C. about 29 m/s
    D. dependent on the child's mass

The answer for this question is A, and I do not understand how they got it.

I also have one more question.

The 2.0-kg head of an ax is moving at 60 m/s when it strikes the log. If the blade of the ax penetrates 20 mm into the log, the average force it exerts is

A. 3 kN
    B. 90 kN
    C. 72 kN
    D. 180 kN

The answer is 180 kN.

I have no idea where to start for these problems. Help would really be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2
    For the first question:

KE(initial) + PE(initial) = KE(final) + PE(final)

You have the correct equation. You only have to evaluate it. Don't forget about gravity.

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    Hint for axe problem:

What energy does the axe use to cleave into the log? Does it do work on the log?

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
    Hint for first question: Think of when the child is at his/her lowest point as 0 cm instead of 50 cm. What does that make his/her highest point equal to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook