Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Enery dissipated

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    Hi, I am struggling with this physics problem:

A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 11 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.50 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3 10-2 /m. What is the average electrical energy (in J) dissipated in the resistance of the wire.

I really don't know where to start in this problem. I can find the circum of the loop and area of the loop. But I'm not sure how to relate resistance, magentic flux, and electrical enery- any help would be appricated!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Faraday's law will allow you to calculate the induced EMF due to the changing magnetic flux through the loop of wire. Start there.

4. May 10, 2005 #3
    I found the EMF to be -.0422
    (-NA delta B)/ delta t
    where N= the number of loops
    A = area
    B= magnetic field
    t= time

5. May 10, 2005 #4

Doc Al

OK. What are the units of EMF?

Now treat the wire loop as a circuit. What's the average power dissipated in the resistance of the wire?

6. May 10, 2005 #5
    the units are V, so .0422 V

P= (V^2)/R (via P=IV and V=IR)

so I took P= (.0422^2)/.0228

The R came from the circum of the loop times the resistance per unit of length

The answer I got was 1.85 J, but this isn't the right answer-- is there something I'm missing?

7. May 10, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Looks OK. That's the average power. (What units?)

OK.

How did you get this answer?

8. May 10, 2005 #7
    I got it!!!! I made a calculation error earlier

I got the answer by using this equation:
    E=Pt

where P= equals the average power
    t= time

THANKS so much for helping me through this problem, you are the best!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook