Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Enery phisic question

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    hi here is the question

A 60 watt light bulb is left swithed on for 10 hours. If the light bulb is 15% effcient, calculate the amount of light energy produced in that time. what is the total energy consumption of the light bulb in this time.

so i need to find work done right so is that power divided by time to get the energy and then find 15% of that am i right i am bathed by this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A watt is 1 unit of energy per unit time. You know how much of the energy was turned into light (15%) and the length of time the light was left on. No need to introduce work.

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3
    so do i divide watts by time taken?

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4
    so 60 watts divided by10 hours which is 6 15% of 6 is 0.9 if i am correct

can you please tell me if i am right if not can you advive me where i went wrong

6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

your answer is incorrect. First you need to think about units
    watts is per second whereas you're given a time in hours. Secondly do you think the energy would be lower or higher than how much you are using in one second?

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6
    so 10 hours is 600 minutes 36000 seconds and 60 watts goes goes in in 36000 2160000 so 15% 324000 am i right

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. now remember to state you units. energy is measured in.....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook