1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enery phisic question

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    hi here is the question

A 60 watt light bulb is left swithed on for 10 hours. If the light bulb is 15% effcient, calculate the amount of light energy produced in that time. what is the total energy consumption of the light bulb in this time.

so i need to find work done right so is that power divided by time to get the energy and then find 15% of that am i right i am bathed by this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A watt is 1 unit of energy per unit time. You know how much of the energy was turned into light (15%) and the length of time the light was left on. No need to introduce work.

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3
    so do i divide watts by time taken?

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4
    so 60 watts divided by10 hours which is 6 15% of 6 is 0.9 if i am correct

can you please tell me if i am right if not can you advive me where i went wrong

6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

your answer is incorrect. First you need to think about units
    watts is per second whereas you're given a time in hours. Secondly do you think the energy would be lower or higher than how much you are using in one second?

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6
    so 10 hours is 600 minutes 36000 seconds and 60 watts goes goes in in 36000 2160000 so 15% 324000 am i right

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. now remember to state you units. energy is measured in.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?