1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engine Performance(Finding Power)

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    Ok, here is the problem:
    A car manufactuerer claims that their car can accelerate from rest to 101 km/hr in 5.6 seconds. The car's mass is 840 kg. Assuming that this performance is achieved at constant power, determine the power developed by the car's engine.
    Part B) What is the car's speed after 2.8 s?

Ok, so first off i changed the 101km/hr to m/s. So it should be 28.1m/s. Then I used the equation: V=Vo + at to find acceleration and so plugging in 28.1m/s=0 + a(5.6s), a= 5.01m/s^2. So since power = F*v, I plugged in P = 840kg*5.01m/s^2*28.1 = 118256.04 W. This is not right. Since the power is constant, I'm thinking that the acceleration is probably not. So how would I incorporate that into my equation?? Once I get that, I can prolly get part B. Thank's for any help at all!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Check those units are those the Power units?? also think about constant power what does that mean?
  4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    I ended up getting it. I used the equation P=W/t, where work = change in kinetic energy. Thanks for the help.
  5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that
    [tex]F = m \frac {dv}{dt}[/tex]
    What can you conclude if Fv is constant?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?