Engine Questions - Get Answers for Your Car Troubles

• Thread starter xyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, in a cyclic engine, all variables except for Q_in will equal zero over one complete cycle. This is because of the Kelvin-Planck statement of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that it is impossible for a heat engine to absorb energy as heat and do an equal amount of work. Therefore, Q_in will always be non-zero and cannot be equal to W, which would violate the second law.
xyz
Hi,there...

Physics news on Phys.org
question?

Consider a cyclic engine.Which one of the following variables might NOT equal zero over one complete cycle? That is,some of these can be zero, but one will not be, over an entire cycle. Which one? Explain.
a) Work-Heat in
b) the amount of change pressure
c) Q_in
d) the amount of change volume
e) the amount of change temperature

Thanks in advance!

a) work-heat in = - variation of internal energy = 0 (cycle)
b) variation of pressure = 0 (cycle)
c) Q_in = ?
d) variation of volume = 0 (cycle)
e) variation of temperature = 0 (cycle)

So, I think that the correct answer is c) Q_in <>0 ...

Originally posted by bogdan
a) work-heat in = - variation of internal energy = 0 (cycle)
b) variation of pressure = 0 (cycle)
c) Q_in = ?
d) variation of volume = 0 (cycle)
e) variation of temperature = 0 (cycle)

So, I think that the correct answer is c) Q_in <>0 ...

For part a, I think that you are confusing the fact that Internal E = W- total Q. Q means the same as heat, and total Q is the sum of Q in and Q out. If Qin was equal to W, that would violate the Kelvin-Planck statement of the 2nd law of TD, which says it is impossible to construct a heat engine that can absorb energy as heat and do an equal amount of work. So a) can never be zero. But W-Q is always zero for cyclic process.
c) can also never be zero. If there is only supposed to be one answer then by Qin they mean Q total, in which case the answer is c).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...if you say so...termodynamics is quite strange for me...
I didn't pay too much attention on part a) because I saw c), which was <>0...so...my mistake...sorry...:frown:

1. What is the best way to diagnose engine problems?

The best way to diagnose engine problems is to use a diagnostic tool, such as an OBD-II scanner, to read the error codes stored in the engine's computer. This will provide a starting point for troubleshooting the issue.

2. How often should I change my oil?

It is recommended to change your oil every 3,000-5,000 miles or every 3-6 months, depending on your driving habits and the type of oil used. Refer to your vehicle's owner's manual for specific recommendations.

3. Can I drive my car with a check engine light on?

It is not recommended to drive your car with the check engine light on. The light indicates that there is a problem with the engine that needs to be addressed, and continuing to drive with the issue could cause further damage to your vehicle.

4. Why is my car overheating?

There are several reasons why a car may overheat, including low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, a damaged radiator, or a malfunctioning water pump. It is important to have a mechanic diagnose the specific cause to prevent further damage to the engine.

5. How can I improve my car's fuel efficiency?

To improve your car's fuel efficiency, you can regularly maintain your vehicle by keeping the tires properly inflated, using the recommended grade of motor oil, and replacing air filters and spark plugs as needed. Additionally, practicing good driving habits such as avoiding aggressive acceleration and maintaining a steady speed can also help improve fuel efficiency.