RPM Problem with Duke's Single-Cylinder Engine

• Thread starter meLokesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Rpm
In summary, you are facing RPM problems with your engine and the ECU can't adjust it properly. The problems could be due to incorrect valve timing or the exhaust.
meLokesh
I am facing this RPM problem with my single-cylinder engine(Duke's) that I have used in my project..
Even though the ECU is programmed to allow RPM upto 12,000 revs but still engine can only reach 6,000 when the clutch is engaged...it can go near to 12,000 only while the clutch is disengaged. What can be the reason for this...
Also , when I disengage the clutch, a sudden large amount of air is sucked in.:confused:

P.S. - The engine is also having problem of unburnt smoky fuel coming out of the intake port, which I guess is due to the exhaust back-pressure as the exhaust pipe & muffler is custom-built & not the engine's standard one.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess the obvious reason you can't get to 12000 RPM when driving a load is because the engine can't generate enough power.

You shouldn't be getting "smoky fuel" coming out of anywhere, and if it's coming out of the intake port something is badly wrong - e.g. the timing is so wrong you are getting combustion while the inlet valve is still open, or the inlet valve and/or spring is damaged. I think you need to sort that out first, before you worry about back pressure from your exhaust etc.

But you can easily check if your custom exhaust is causing the problem - just disconnect it (and wear ear protectors when doing the test!).

Likes 1 person
It can't be the inlet valve/spring as the engine is brand new one...but I'll check it anyways.
And now I see that both power loss & smoky fuel problems can be due to improper valve timings & of course the exhaust is faulty too.

Ain't no expert but this is what I observed in the shop:
Can the ECU be connected to a laptop using a OBD(on-board diagnostics) plug? In that case,you could use a program to adjust the timing(never done it myself). Or,you could play around with the distributor after you short-circuit(paper-clip) the ECU adjustment connector.

1. What is the RPM problem with Duke's single-cylinder engine?

The RPM problem with Duke's single-cylinder engine refers to a recurring issue where the engine's revolutions per minute (RPM) fluctuate or do not reach the desired level, resulting in poor engine performance.

2. What are the possible causes of the RPM problem?

There are several potential causes of the RPM problem, including a clogged or dirty air filter, faulty spark plug, fuel delivery issues, or a malfunctioning carburetor.

3. How can I diagnose the RPM problem with Duke's single-cylinder engine?

To diagnose the RPM problem, start by checking the air filter and spark plug for any buildup or damage. Next, ensure that the fuel line is not clogged or damaged and that the carburetor is functioning properly. You may also want to check the engine's compression and ignition timing.

4. How can I fix the RPM problem with Duke's single-cylinder engine?

The best course of action to fix the RPM problem will depend on the specific cause. In general, the solution may involve cleaning or replacing the air filter, spark plug, or carburetor, or addressing any fuel delivery issues. It may also be helpful to consult a professional mechanic for assistance.

5. How can I prevent the RPM problem from occurring in the future?

To prevent the RPM problem from happening again, regular maintenance and inspection of the engine are crucial. This includes cleaning or replacing the air filter and spark plug, checking the fuel delivery system, and ensuring that the carburetor is functioning correctly. It is also essential to use high-quality fuel and follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.