Noisy Engines: Exploring the Causes

• Thread starter buster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary: It's the muffled sound of the exhaust pulses :) 'Exhaust Pulse'(formal term), 'Pressure waves', 'Shockwaves' are common terms among automotive people which is the explosive expansion of the gases when the exhaust valve opens.For air-cooled engines, a small percentage comes from the ignited mixture.
now what's the final answer to my question?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The engine is silent; what you hear is the driver farting. The sound is entirely dependent upon his diet.

Danger said:
The engine is silent; what you hear is the driver farting. The sound is entirely dependent upon his diet.

:confused::confused::confused:
how come i didnt think of that? now i know why they call it POTATO-POTATO-POTATO sound:rofl::rofl::rofl:

now anyone serious abt the question?:mad::mad:

At this point, I doubt it.
If you want 'serious', go back to the first couple of pages where your question was repeatedly answered.

well actually, only gaming addict understood my question right
no one else did

Last edited:
Wrong, pal. We all understood it, and answered to the best of our abilities. For some reason that I can't begin to fathom, you are unwilling to accept those answers. So I really have to ask you... why do you ask a question to which you don't want an answer?

i got my answer. n i want to get few good explanations about those. so that's why i m askin it.
n yes i do appreciate all of your help, those links really provided me with some good reasons.

buster said:
those links really provided me with some good reasons.
That might be part of the problem. There are no reasons in science. We strive to answer 'how', but 'why' is a philosophical pursuit.

buster said:
aaaaaaaaa... what's a YANK?

Also known as "Septic" @ arrse.co.uk

Danger said:
We strive to answer 'how', but 'why' is a philosophical pursuit.

fair enough. but i didnt ask how or why, i asked which.
now let me eloborate what i asked & what most of u assumed i asked.
i m not talking about the sound that AC makes or the fuel pump makes or any other thing(fans, belts, pulley, gears) attached to the engine makes, these are all the result of running engine. this is what you guys hav been assuming:grumpy::grumpy:(ofcourse except gaming addict(hehe i m gaming addict too!:tongue2::tongue:))
what i have been looking is the source of POTATO-POTATO-POTATO sound (or the farting noise as Mr DANGER suggests), the power stroke(or the CONTROLLED combustion, still i would say it as the explosion of charge regarding the problem), or the exhaust stroke(high pressure gases going out via outlet valve, thus producing a shockwave(as i understand))??
i say it is the 2nd one..
now do i need to get more clear?
and also, i think i have my answer correct with enough explanations:grumpy::grumpy: