Engine Torque Control: A Guide to Automatics & DCTs

In summary: I don't (that is with out the trailer behind it)In summary, engine torque control is used in automatic and dual clutch transmissions to ensure smooth gear changes and reduce stress on the gearbox and passengers. This is achieved by matching the engine's rpm to the selected gear and reducing torque during up-shifts and increasing torque during downshifts. It also helps to reduce wear on the clutch plates, resulting in a more durable and efficient transmission. This is a modern refinement of the manually controlled speed matching used in old vehicles with crash gear boxes. It allows for smoother shifts and minimizes shock loads, allowing for smaller, cheaper, and lighter transmissions to be used with more powerful engines. This was a necessary technique for vehicles with crash gear boxes
The Jargon
Hi guys,

I have a question about engine torque control in automatic transmissions and dual clutch transmissions. I've seen cases where the engine torque is decreased on an up-shift and increased during a downshift. Why is this done?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Jargon said:
I have a question about engine torque control in automatic transmissions and dual clutch transmissions. I've seen cases where the engine torque is decreased on an up-shift and increased during a downshift. Why is this done?
Engine torque or wheel torque? How would you be able tell if engine torque is increasing or decreasing when a shift happens?

Just to make sure we have the basics clear though; wheel torque goes down when you upshift because of the gear ratio.

russ_watters said:
Engine torque or wheel torque? How would you be able tell if engine torque is increasing or decreasing when a shift happens?

Just to make sure we have the basics clear though; wheel torque goes down when you upshift because of the gear ratio.

Engine torque. I know by reading the CANBUS.

Engine torque in this context is likely to be secondary to requested rpm. The engine control will be matching rpm to the gear that has been selected to reduce stress on the gearbox and undesirable jerkiness for passengers.

Likes Nidum, The Jargon, berkeman and 2 others
Bandit127 said:
Engine torque in this context is likely to be secondary to requested rpm. The engine control will be matching rpm to the gear that has been selected to reduce stress on the gearbox and undesirable jerkiness for passengers.
Yes, I was thinking back to my stick driving days how I lifted my foot off the gas when shifting to avoid revving-up the engine. So my question back to @The Jargon is whether this is a momentary change during shifting that you notice or does it continue after the shift?

If it continues and the throttle position isn't changed, I was thinking it may be due to moving to a better or worse spot on the torque curve due to the rpm change.

The Jargon said:
I've seen cases where the engine torque is decreased on an up-shift and increased during a downshift. Why is this done?
I would think it is to make sure that the engine power before and after shifting is the same, depending on the rpm and throttle position. That is the condition for smooth transition.

Likes The Jargon
Bandit127 said:

Hi Bandit, this seems to be the case.

russ_watters said:
Yes, I was thinking back to my stick driving days how I lifted my foot off the gas when shifting to avoid revving-up the engine. So my question back to @The Jargon is whether this is a momentary change during shifting that you notice or does it continue after the shift?
If it continues and the throttle position isn't changed, I was thinking it may be due to moving to a better or worse spot on the torque curve due to the rpm change.

Hi Russ, it's only a momentary increase before the gear and clutch is engaged. It then returns to it's original level.

It's the real reason we have drive by wire.....and complaints of bad shifting.

You should drive a car and pull up the datalist of the throttle plate opening vs what you are commanding while driving it.

You will find they are nowhere similar.

Likes russ_watters
It's a modern day refinement in gear change procedure which has been derived from the manually controlled speed matching required for optimal double declutching as used on old vehicles with crash gear boxes . Purpose as said by others is to give very smooth gear changes .

Last edited:
Not only is it for smooth gear changes, but it really reduces the wear on the clutch plates if the torque is reduced until the force on the plates is up to spec.. The plates don't rotate against each other under load and wear.. it also does make for smooth shifts, and since shock loads are what break things in most cases, if you can reduce the shock load you can have a smaller, cheaper, lighter transmission that can be put behind a more powerful engine that would otherwise tear it to bits without torque control

Likes Nidum
My late father was once the foreman in a heavy goods vehicle repair garage .

Many of the lorries that came in then were big slow moving ones of 1940/50's vintage . These all had crash gear boxes .

Point of interest here though was that these big lorries required a heavy tow truck to go to the rescue when they broke down or slid off the road . This particular garage had a tow truck converted from a war time Matador gun tractor . Driving this with a broken down truck in tow over the winding and steeply graded Welsh valley roads in winter was a real art . Crash gear box of course but the simple mention of double declutching does not nearly describe what actually had to be done to change gear .

Changing gear on a down grade in particular was a complicated , slow and hazardous process .

Foot brakes were not very effective so with bad roads and heavy load most braking was done using engine retardation . On a long down grade it was necessary to change down to bottom gear under load while losing as little engine retardation as possible during the change . Devil's choice on how to do that . Take too long and you got a runaway . Crash the gears too quickly and you stripped the box .

Last edited:
Likes Rx7man
I grew up with crash gearboxes on the farm equipment.. One tractor in particular I got very good at.. sure takes practice... I have an old bulldozer (Allis HD6) and with a hand clutch and a crash box I sometimes get it right

Likes Nidum

1. What is engine torque control?

Engine torque control is a system in a vehicle that manages the amount of torque (rotational force) produced by the engine and delivers it to the wheels. It is responsible for controlling the speed and power of the vehicle.

2. How does engine torque control work?

The engine torque control system uses sensors to monitor the engine speed, throttle position, and other factors. Based on this information, it adjusts the amount of fuel and air entering the engine, and the timing of the engine's valves, to regulate the torque output.

3. What is the difference between automatic and dual-clutch transmissions?

Automatic transmissions use a torque converter to transfer power from the engine to the wheels, while dual-clutch transmissions (DCTs) use two separate clutches for odd and even gears. DCTs offer faster shifting and improved fuel efficiency compared to traditional automatics.

4. Why is torque control important for a vehicle?

Torque control is essential for a vehicle's performance, efficiency, and safety. It ensures that the engine delivers the right amount of power to the wheels, allowing the vehicle to accelerate smoothly and efficiently. It also helps prevent wheel slippage and improves handling and stability.

5. Can engine torque control be adjusted?

Yes, engine torque control can be adjusted through various methods, such as changing the engine mapping or using a performance tuning chip. However, it is important to note that tampering with the engine torque control system can potentially damage the engine and void the vehicle's warranty.