Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineer and programmer

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    Please tell me the differences between Embedded system engineer, Embedded system programmer and Embedded system software engineer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    An engineer probably has more chances to be working with hardware design. A system software engineer would possibly be working with more low level programming such as drivers and working with an OS kernel, while an embedded system programmer is more vague and could be programming high level applications or low level. I guess what do you think is the difference between an engineer and a programmer? Look at the curriculum of a computer science student an an engineering student to get an idea.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    I think you are right on embedded system engineering and embedded system software engineer. But I need little more explanation on Embedded system programmer, like, the programming languages used in programming what kind of devices. What is high level and low level applications? When we are writing a piece of code on any device describing it's working mechanism ( example: touch screen- we program how the touch screen should react to our touch) then does it come under embedded system programming or embedded system software engineering?
    Thank you for the answers!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook