Mechanical Engineer Interview Q&A

In summary, mechanical engineering requires a strong background in math and science, and a typical day may involve working on projects and communicating with team members. The best part of the job is the freedom and good pay, while the worst part may be the strict codes and regulations. There is a high demand for mechanical engineers and the field is very math-intensive. The most important skill for a mechanical engineer is self-learning, and aspiring engineers should work hard, be curious, and develop good communication skills. The interviewee, Jaap de Vries, is a Combustion Research Assistant and PhD Student at Turbomachinery Laboratory.
manmelvin
Hello,

I need to conduct an interview for a research paper i am writing on mechanical engineering, and i was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions about mechanical engineering?

1) What High School/College classes would you suggest taking to become a mechanical engineer?

2) What is a typical day for a mechanical engineer look like?

3) What is the best/worst part of being a mechanical engineer?

4) Is their a demand for mechanical engineers?

5) Is mechanical engineering very math involved?

6) What is the most important skill that a mechanical engineer can have?

7) What advice do you have for aspiring engineers?

8) Could you please post you name and job title so that I can quote you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1) What High School/College classes would you suggest taking to become a mechanical engineer?

Calc I II III and statistics physics and maybe economics

2) What is a typical day for a mechanical engineer look like?

That is a pretty generic question it makes a difference if you are self employed, work for a large company, or work in a reasearch lab. For most companies you will work on projects so you will be asked to solve specific problems and communicate those through meetings teleconferences etc. to the rest of your teammembers/PM

3) What is the best/worst part of being a mechanical engineer?

That is also a personal question, best is that you are usually pretty free and the pay is good. Worst for me is that almost everything you do has to be done by some kind of code, (ISO ASME) so you spend a lot of time going through manuals etc.

4) Is their a demand for mechanical engineers?
Yes

5) Is mechanical engineering very math involved?
Yes

6) What is the most important skill that a mechanical engineer can have?
Auto didactive (Able to teach yourself and find aswers on your own)

7) What advice do you have for aspiring engineers?
Work hard, be curious, communicate well with others

8) Could you please post you name and job title so that I can quote you.
Jaap de Vries
Combustion Research Assistant / PhD Student
http://turbolab.tamu.edu/"

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Get a strong background in math and science - calculus and physics, especially. But also do your best to learn how to write and write well.
2. For most mech e's, you will spend a lot of time in meetings consumed by trivia and office politics. You will spend a mind-numbing amount of time stuck in traffic, stuck in airports, stuck in meetings.
3. Working with other engineers.
4. There will always be a need for people who can solve problems.
5. Yes. Don't even think of studying engineering without getting your brain bloated with the magic elixirs of math.
6. Imagination, mathematical ability, and good communication skills.
7. Do something where you get your hands dirty building stuff - learn to weld, take a course in machining, get in on a group project trying to build robots, subs or something. The difference between those that get their hands dirty and those who only learn from books is astounding.
8. No. It would probably lead me to get called into a meeting in which I would have to answer trivial questions and avert office politics.

1. What is your experience with CAD software?

As a mechanical engineer, I have extensive experience with various CAD software, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and CATIA. I have used these programs to design and analyze mechanical components and systems for different projects.

2. Can you explain a challenging project you have worked on in the past?

One of the most challenging projects I have worked on was designing a new engine for a hybrid car. This project required extensive research and analysis to ensure the engine's efficiency and compatibility with the car's electrical components.

3. How do you stay updated on industry developments and advancements?

I regularly attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to mechanical engineering to stay updated on the latest developments and advancements in the industry. I also read industry publications and participate in online forums and discussions.

4. How do you handle conflicts or challenges in a team environment?

I believe in open communication and collaboration to resolve conflicts in a team environment. I listen to different perspectives and work towards finding a mutually beneficial solution. I also believe in keeping a positive attitude and maintaining professionalism at all times.

5. How do you prioritize tasks and manage your time effectively?

I prioritize tasks based on their urgency and importance, using tools like Gantt charts and to-do lists to manage my time effectively. I also communicate with my team to ensure we are all on the same page and can work together efficiently to meet deadlines.