What is the probability that a serious error was made by Engineer 1 or 3?

In summary, the construction company employs three sales engineers who estimate the costs of jobs bid by the company. The engineers have a 30%, 20%, and 50% chance of estimating costs, respectively. The probabilities of making a serious error in estimating costs for Engineers 1, 2, and 3 are 0.01, 0.03, and 0.02, respectively. Using the tree diagram and Bayes' Theorem, the probability of a serious error being made by Engineer 1 is 0.0652 or 6.52%, and the probability of a serious error being made by Engineer 3 is 0.0435 or 4.35%.
n77ler

Homework Statement

A construction company employs three sales engineers. Engineers 1,2 nd 3 estimate the costs of 30%, 20%, and 50%, respectively, of all jobs bid by the company. For i=1,2,3, define E_i to be the event that a job is estimated by engineer i. The following probabilities describe the rates at which the engineers make serious errors in estimating costs:

P(error/E_1)= 0.01, P(error/E_2)= 0.03, P(error/E_3)

a.) If a particular bid results in a serious erros in estimating job cost, what is the probabilty that the error was made by engineer 1?
b.)If a particular bid results in a serious error in estimating job cost, what is the probabilty that the error was made by engineer 3?

Homework Equations

I drew a tree diagram with 3 branches the first three branches were E1, E2, E3 and they were 0.3, 0.2, and 0.5 for the costs that they had to estimate. It then branches for each one of them and shows the probability of the serious errors in estimating... E1, E2, and E3 were 0.01, 0.03 and 0.02 respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I used P(E_1/Error) so given that serious error occurs what is the probability of it being Engineer 1.

=[ P(E_1 union Error) ] / P(error)

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks alright so far. Now how can you find [tex]P(e \cap E_1 )[/tex] and [tex]P(e)[/tex]? You can use your tree diagram, or perhaps take a more formal approach by looking into bayes theorem

Ok I did it but forgot to finish it off on my post... It's =[ (0.3)x(0.01) ] / 0.46
P(Error) was worked out by multiplying 0.3, 0.2, 0.5 by 0.01, 0.03 ad the third error value
And then b will be the same thing!

What is Engineer Probability?

Engineer Probability is a branch of probability theory that focuses on the application of mathematical and statistical methods to engineering problems. It involves analyzing and predicting the likelihood of different outcomes in engineering systems, such as the failure of a machine or the success of a project.

Why is Engineer Probability important?

Engineer Probability is important because it allows engineers to make informed decisions and design reliable systems. By understanding the probability of various outcomes, engineers can identify potential risks and find ways to mitigate them. This can help prevent costly failures and ensure the success of projects.

What are some common techniques used in Engineer Probability?

Some common techniques used in Engineer Probability include statistical analysis, mathematical modeling, and simulation. These methods help engineers quantify and understand the likelihood of different events and outcomes in their systems.

What are some real-world applications of Engineer Probability?

Engineer Probability has many real-world applications, including predicting the lifespan of structures, designing reliable electrical and mechanical systems, and optimizing processes in manufacturing and production. It is also used in risk management and decision-making in various industries.

What skills are needed to work in Engineer Probability?

To work in Engineer Probability, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and engineering principles. It is also important to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. Knowledge of computer programming and simulation software is also beneficial.