Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineer Vs Physicist (DEATHMATCH )

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Engineer Vs Physicist (DEATHMATCH!!!)

OK...i've seen some friendly comments on the similarities and differences between Engineering and Physics. I would like to hear from people in these fields and studying these fields to get defensive, get personal, but be serious (why not witty and funny ...but mature) about their major/profession/passion.
    Could any member from either group post, and tell me why Engineering or Physics is THE way to go, and why it is undeniably better than the other.
    (I am aware this might instigate some unpleasent fights, but as men and women of Science, it shall be only for the sake of experiment, because it should really come down to a draw...but for now, sum1 just start some shhhhh...uh ...poop)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2
    I'm not in either field =)

4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    :biggrin: Neither am I (just feel like making some noise at this particular moment in time).

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    I studied theoretical physics at college and now i am studying applied physics. It seems to me that besides courses like electronics and simulations of dynamical systems, there is not much extra to learn when someone with a physics degree starts to study engineering. Keep in mind that i am referring to physical engineering like nanotechnology or nuclear sciences...

marlon

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, let's see. First year there were 200 "physics majors." Second year there were 100. Third year 40, and 18 graduated witht the BS. Most transferred to engineering.

Some say they were the smart ones, because they figured out that they were not smart enough to finish the physics degree, so instead took the "more emplyable route."

7. Nov 8, 2004 #6
    Well I mean I don't really know much about engineering, but our lecture seems to like to give them immense crap.
    I'm a second year physics student and, yes there is a pretty high drop out rate. Especially in second year because that is probably the biggest jump in terms of difficulty level.
    But yeah Physics is pretty damn interesting and it has a lot of applications.
    I mean it's pretty cool to know how the things you use operate, such as a guitar amp.
    Anyway that's my two cents worth:)

8. Nov 8, 2004 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At my school there is 6 or less, during year 3 and 4.

9. Nov 8, 2004 #8
    we have 30 or so graduate each year. Nice big department. Of course we also have 7,000 engineering majors who aren't smart enough to be physics majors, and then ten years down the road all think they've disproved relativity with common sense, except for the fact that they have no understanding whatsoever of the mathematics involved, and why relativity is so accurate. They make me angry. I don't try to show them the best way to build an airplane when i know nothing about airplane design.

10. Nov 8, 2004 #9
    I will be an engineer in a matter of 5 years. Whoo-pee. :D

11. Nov 8, 2004 #10
    as a high school student who likes physics, i wanted to know what would be better?? the degree of engineering or a degree for becoming a physicist ( a physics major i guess ) ? also, whats the different between the two since they both deal with physics

thanks

12. Nov 8, 2004 #11
    Engineering seems to deal more with the mechanics of systems. Of course, that depends on which field of engineering you are interested in. For example, Mechanical Engineering would be much more centered around mechanisms such as robots or automobiles, while physics deals with specific cases and general laws.

Correct me if i am wrong.

13. Nov 8, 2004 #12
    not to be an a-hole, but i am conducting a study here.
    I wanna see some Physicist VS Engineer action.
    In here we know what an engineer and physicist do, we wanna know who's better and why they think that.
    COME ON PEOPLE!!!!
    LETS GET THIS STARTED!!!!

14. Nov 8, 2004 #13
    There is no "better" course to major in. That is absurd. It is strictly subjective.

15. Nov 8, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

neil_m, this may not be the cat-fight you'd hoped for, but let me say this anyway :

I graduated from college with an engineering degree and am currently doing a PhD in physics. I would highly recommend this route for folks who are physics inclined. You can always take a whole bunch of physics courses with an engineering major. Over this period, you get to assess if you are still as interested in physics as you were, when you were an ignorant high schooler, and you'll figure out if you're cut out for it. Most are not. And even if you are, you get to learn a lot of cool engg stuff that you'll never see if you major in physics. And you can learn most college physics by yourself...just buy yourself a Resnick & Halliday and a few other books from the library are useful.

If you can't handle most of Resnick by yourself, you're not cut out for physics.

If you are happy with your engineering path and wish to study it further or get a job in the line, that's not especially difficult (relatively speaking); but if you still find that your heart is with physics, you can always do a PhD in physics...which is really the only way to learn any serious physics.

Of course, if you have an aversion to engineering (a true, head-in-the-clouds theoretician...which at the high-school level mostly means you're stupid), go ahead and get a degree in physics.

PS : I've used some specifically inflammatory phrases (in bold) for the benefit of neil_m's experiment.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  16. Nov 8, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm neither, though I've dated an engineer, but no physicists. I have a "thing" for engineers...they're both booksmart and practical. I think being an engineer will get you more women than being a physics major. Is that sufficient justification for you all to become engineers? :biggrin:

17. Nov 8, 2004 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

neil_m, I think you will find that people here (for the most part) are serious about school, are mature (doesn't mean that they don't like to have fun) and they know that the quickest way to get a thread closed is for people to start flinging insults. It's not going to happen.

18. Nov 8, 2004 #17
    (for dekoi, and anyone else who may not have understood the point of this)

I am not only refering to Engineering and Physics as majors... I am asking if anyone STUDYING or who are actually IN the fields to post their OPINIONS, on these topics.
    What you appear to be saying is anyones opinion on that is absurd, which makes you appear not very open minded.
    Letsee quoting MYSELF at the beginning of this thread "...it shall be only for the sake of experiment, because it should really come down to a draw..." so ummm I DO NOT THINK THAT ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER IN MY OPINION, but I would like to hear what other people have to say, and allow them to be free with it (but back up what they have to say with good and valid reasons and facts --or GOOD humor at least)
    Now, if you STILL have a problem then dont post. Otherwise pick a side for fun and sling some mud at it, and pick another and say why you THINK it is better.
    (so dekoi, lighten up, and have some fun, no hard feelings...peace)

19. Nov 8, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this was for fun...and not meant to provoke any serious insult trading.

20. Nov 8, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my interpretation too...all in good fun, sort of like a pie fight. :tongue2:

21. Nov 8, 2004 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say "never mind".

Hey, I just finished eating sushi, some marinated bell peppers, onion, cucumber and feta cheese and then topped it off with some chunky peanut butter. I think I'm going to die. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?