What Do the Dimensions and Symbols in a 3-View Engineering Drawing Mean?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
As for the other dimension, the "4x diameter .164-32 UNC depth .535," it is specifying a hole with a diameter of .164, a thread of 32, and a depth of .535. So in summary, the first dimension is for chamfers and the second dimension is for a hole with specific measurements.
pyroknife
I'm having trouble understanding 2 parts of this 3 view drawing. We're supposed to draw it on pro e.

1. For the top view drawing, the dimension on the right that says "2x45° x .25" What does the .25 mean? I calculated the depth of that part to be 1.32-1.075=.245.

2. For the dimension in the top view drawing that states "4x diameter .164-32 UNC depth .535." How do we know the depth of the hole? I can't find where it specifies the depth of the hole anywhere on the drawing?

If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Attachments

• mounting_plate.jpg
    mounting_plate.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
The side view projected from the plan view shows a the 0.535 deep "blind hole."

Are you sure that downward pointing arrow and .535 after it are not specifying the depth of the hole? Have you studied what the drawing symbols mean?

In the notation "2 x 45 x .25", the drawing is telling you to make 2 45-deg chamfers which measure .25" in the length of the legs, not the depth.

1. What is an Engineering 3 View Drawing?

An Engineering 3 View Drawing is a technical illustration that shows the three main views of an object or component: the front view, top view, and side view. These drawings are used in the engineering field to communicate design ideas and specifications.

2. What is the purpose of creating an Engineering 3 View Drawing?

The purpose of an Engineering 3 View Drawing is to provide a detailed and accurate representation of an object or component. This allows engineers to communicate design ideas and specifications to others in a clear and concise manner. It also helps to identify any potential issues or errors in the design before production begins.

3. How is an Engineering 3 View Drawing created?

An Engineering 3 View Drawing is typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software. The software allows for precise measurements and angles to be used in the drawing, resulting in a highly accurate representation of the object or component.

4. What information is typically included in an Engineering 3 View Drawing?

An Engineering 3 View Drawing typically includes dimensions, notes, and symbols that communicate important information about the object or component. It may also include a title block with information such as the project name, date, and engineer's name.

5. Why are Engineering 3 View Drawings important in the design process?

Engineering 3 View Drawings are important in the design process because they provide a visual representation of a design that can be easily understood by all members of a project team. They also help to identify any potential issues or errors in the design, ensuring that the final product meets the necessary specifications and functions as intended.