Engineering Tips for Master/Graduate Studies | Advice from Experienced Graduates

• Thread starter NoobEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I imagine that I am talking to my friends in my head, and that I have to explain it to them in a way that they will understand. This helps me to remember the material and to come up with creative explanations for things that I might not have thought of before.In summary, the student is having difficulty getting good grades in their Mech/Aero course and is looking for advice on how to improve. The student has been struggling with the material for a while and is looking for help from the Engineers. The student is looking for help with remembering the material and coming up with creative explanations for why they are not getting good grades. The student has found help by imagining teaching the material to themselves and talking to their imaginary friends.
NoobEng
Hey, guys. I know this isn't the academic section, but I wanted to direct a question to the Engineers in here. I am currently in second year Mech/Aero, and I've been trying really hard, even taking some courses in the summer to focus more on the ones at hand, but it is really difficult for me to get As. The maximum I seem to get is either B/B+, while most of my grades of B-/C+. I understand the material, its just I can never seem to get higher no matter how much I practice.

This is ok for now. But I want to do well in the last 2 years as those count for masters/graduate studies.

So I was wondering if any of you could please share some of your past experience/wisdom and if you had any specific helpful tips? I know organization is key and all, considering time constraints, but do you have any really specific tips, or to avoid anything?

Any help/wisdom from past graduates would be really appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible for you to get some time with your profs?
Unlike us, they see you every day and see your work.
It is your responsibility to engage them and to find out what they are trying to get across to you.
Maybe just explain to them that you really love the course but worry that you are not getting the full benefit of it. They may be willing to show you some examples of A grade work and help you focus on the weaknesses in your current papers.
Without some feedback on the nature of the problem, you cannot begin to solve it.

The thing that has helped me a lot in studying and preparing for oral exams is to imagine that I have to teach the material to others.

I literally walk around at home and speak to myself (or actually to my invisible friends who I am teaching).

As you say its not like you don't understand the stuff, you just need to get the shovel completely under it all. For me, "teaching" helps, because you will have to find ways to explain it simply and differently from how you have been thinking about it for now. And sometimes you find yourself trying to explain something and you just can't. And then after some reflection, reading and trying different approaches to explaining it, you nail it.

I do this every single time I have exams.

1. How do I choose the right graduate program for engineering?

Choosing the right graduate program for engineering can be a daunting task. Some factors to consider include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, available research opportunities, and career support services. It is also important to visit the campus, talk to current students, and gather as much information as possible before making a decision.

2. What is the best way to prepare for graduate studies in engineering?

To prepare for graduate studies in engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. Reviewing fundamental concepts and taking advanced courses in your field of interest can also be helpful. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects can make you a more competitive applicant.

3. How can I balance coursework and research in a graduate engineering program?

Balancing coursework and research in a graduate engineering program can be challenging. It is important to prioritize your time and set realistic goals. Communicate with your advisor and professors to manage your workload effectively. It may also be helpful to join a study group or seek support from classmates in similar programs.

4. What are some strategies for succeeding in a graduate engineering program?

To succeed in a graduate engineering program, it is important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and maintain a good work-life balance. It is also crucial to actively participate in class, seek help when needed, and develop strong relationships with your professors and classmates. Additionally, staying updated on industry trends and networking with professionals can help you stay ahead in your field.

5. How can I make the most of my graduate studies in engineering?

To make the most of your graduate studies in engineering, it is important to take advantage of all the resources available to you. This includes attending workshops and conferences, participating in research projects, and networking with professionals in your field. It is also important to set personal and professional goals and continuously strive to improve and grow as an engineer throughout your graduate studies.