Engineering and Applied Physics

In summary, an engineer can be considered an "applied physicist" if they have taken some physics courses. It does not matter if the engineer is interested in or practicing computational physics.
nebbione
Hi everyone, i was asking myself , can engineers be considered applied physicist ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a reason why this would matter in the least bit?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Is there a reason why this would matter in the least bit?

Zz.

Probably for employment opportunities?

yes!

Based on your other thread you seem to have an obsession with the label of "physicist." Why?

InvalidID said:
Probably for employment opportunities?

Again, how would this matter for employment opportunities? Why would this matter whether an engineer is an "applied physicist" or not? Does it make a hoot of a difference if I call a medical doctor an "applied biologist"?

Zz.

The fact is that I've ever dreamed from the high school of being a physicist, but for an economical reason, i studied (and still studying) engineering because close to my house the closest thing to physics was computer engineering, i don't dislike of being an engineer, but i wonder anyway, if i study hard physics and study even things that when don't study at university (like quantum physics or relativity) if i ever can be considered a physicist and "Have the HONOR" to say whan I'm talking to others, I'm an applied physicist...

Then you need to examine yourself here, because it appears that you care more about "title" than anything else. This is vanity.

Zz.

I don't think it's vanity, it's just a fact of Honor of being one!

For example if one's think of being a knight... and nobody consider him a knight because he doesn't have that title effectively, it's different of being considered a knight and I don't think it's a pity to desire a title! For me it would be an HONOR to be considered a physicist... Understand what I mean ?

That's exactly what vanity is. It's the title that attracts you. This thread has kinda gone of topic though.

so I'm vanitous if my desire is to become a physicist but I'm studying engineering according to my economical possibilities ?

It depends on the reason. You only want to be called a physicist for the honor. If you want to be called a physicist study physics. Zapper Z has a thread on going to physics grad school without a degree in physics.

nebbione said:
I don't think it's vanity, it's just a fact of Honor of being one!

For example if one's think of being a knight... and nobody consider him a knight because he doesn't have that title effectively, it's different of being considered a knight and I don't think it's a pity to desire a title! For me it would be an HONOR to be considered a physicist... Understand what I mean ?

This is silly, because somehow you have this inferiority complex at being called an engineer! What is wrong being called for what you are? There are many physicists who work in industries and proudly carry the title of engineers, even if they were trained as physicistsand have degrees in physics!

There is no such "title" as "applied physicist".

This thread doesn't deserve to be in "Career Guidance", because this is not a rational career guidance discussion topic.

Zz.

Wait wait wait... maybe you intended completely different things... My question was not for a vanity purpose... Let me explain... First off...I'm sorry if I offended someone with my posts, it really was not my attempt, and I'm sorry if I let somebody think that I'm vanitous, I'm not that kind of guy, i just wanted to know, if i could have the title of "applied physicist" even being an engineer, for a job purpose, and i even said that it would be anyway an honor to have such title... that's all! i perfectly know that a title is surely not a description of a person, for example, one can have the title of "engineer"/"physicist"/"mathematician" without knowing anything of any scientific subject, while there are other persons who don't have any degree but they kick a** in a lot of subjects... I repeat, I'm so sorry I gave this imagine of myself, and I assure you that I'm not that kind of person... I'm an huble engineering-student and anyway you are right now we are going out of subject... So I Think we can close this post... hoping you can accept my apologies

nebbione said:
Hi everyone, i was asking myself , can engineers be considered applied physicist ?
One could look into computational physics. I would recommend taking some physics courses as part of one's engineering program.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, i was even really interested into computational physics... thanks!

What is engineering and applied physics?

Engineering and applied physics is a field that combines principles from both engineering and physics to develop new technologies and solve real-world problems. It involves the application of scientific concepts and theories to design, build, and improve various systems and devices.

What are the main branches of engineering and applied physics?

The main branches of engineering and applied physics include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and materials science. Each branch focuses on different areas and applications, but they all use principles from physics to solve problems and create new technologies.

What skills are required to be successful in engineering and applied physics?

Some important skills for success in engineering and applied physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, math and science proficiency, creativity, and communication. These skills are essential for developing innovative solutions, collaborating with others, and effectively implementing projects.

What career opportunities are available in engineering and applied physics?

Graduates with a degree in engineering and applied physics can pursue a variety of career paths, including research and development, product design, project management, consulting, and teaching. They can work in a wide range of industries, such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications.

How does engineering and applied physics contribute to society?

Engineering and applied physics have a significant impact on society by improving the quality of life, creating new technologies and devices, and addressing global challenges. This field has led to advancements in healthcare, transportation, communication, and environmental sustainability, among others, making our lives easier and more efficient.