Exploring the Role of Proofs in Engineering and Their Importance

In summary, as an engineer, you do not need to worry about proofs and instead focus on applying concepts and equations. It is important to take math courses specifically designed for engineers, rather than those offered by the math department. While engineers may come across derivations of formulas, rigorous mathematical proofs are not necessary for their work. Some advanced engineering courses may require students to prove basic concepts in linear algebra and differential equations, but these are not as formal as mathematical proofs. Ultimately, engineers should have a general understanding of where things come from, but they do not need to concern themselves with rigorous proofs and axiomatic systems.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
I don't know where to fit this question, but here goes. As an engineer should I be concerned a lot (or some) about proofs? Sure I know certain basic proofs anyone involved in math should know however, I have come across certain advanced proofs such as why certain methods of solving differential equations work... I'd like not to limit the discussion on those types of proofs alone. But in general should I really be concerned about learning them?

Thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, as an engineer do not worry about proofs at all and instead concentrate on how to apply the concepts and equations. Just make sure you only take the math for engineers (our university has a separate department called applied math). Leave the proofs for the mathematicians and physicists ;)

inno87 said:
Nope, as an engineer do not worry about proofs at all and instead concentrate on how to apply the concepts and equations. Just make sure you only take the math for engineers (our university has a separate department called applied math). Leave the proofs for the mathematicians and physicists ;)

I'm sorry, but what are you basing this assessment on?

My years as an engineering major. Proofs were non-existent for me as long as I took the correct applied math courses. Only class I saw proofs in was this linear algebra class offered by the math department class and I quickly dropped it by the second day to switch into applied linear algebra with no sight of proofs.

inno87 said:
My years as an engineering major. Proofs were non-existent for me as long as I took the correct applied math courses. Only class I saw proofs in was this linear algebra class offered by the math department class and I quickly dropped it by the second day to switch into applied linear algebra with no sight of proofs.

Perhaps I should be careful in not confusing the word 'proofs' with 'derivations'. There are lots of 'derivations' of formulas one has to do as an engineer (we had to in our classes). But that is not 'as formal' as a mathematical proof. But in the math courses I took (math for engineers) we had to prove things.

A good engineer would know where things come from, and a rough intuitive picture that allows him to see what is right and what is wrong, but I don't think engineers need to concern themselves with rigorous mathematical proofs and axiomatic systems.

Thanks for the detailed replies guys. I see, so derivations important, however, proofs are left to the mathematicians. Thanks.

My students in "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" were required to prove things. Not the Hahn-Banach theorem, of course, but basic things in linear algebra and differential equations.

zhentil said:
My students in "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" were required to prove things. Not the Hahn-Banach theorem, of course, but basic things in linear algebra and differential equations.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I'll be taking that class this Fall.

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It involves using creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to develop solutions to real-world problems.

2. What is the purpose of proofs in engineering?

Proofs are used in engineering to ensure the accuracy and validity of designs and solutions. They provide a logical and mathematical explanation for why a certain design or solution will work, and help to identify potential errors or flaws before they can cause problems in the real world.

3. How are proofs used in engineering?

Proofs are used in engineering to demonstrate the correctness and effectiveness of a design or solution. They can be used to verify the performance of a system, evaluate the efficiency of a process, or validate the safety of a structure. Proofs are an essential part of the design and testing process in engineering.

4. What are some common types of proofs used in engineering?

Some common types of proofs used in engineering include mathematical proofs, which use logic and equations to demonstrate the correctness of a design or solution, and experimental proofs, which involve testing and data analysis to validate the performance of a system or process. Other types of proofs may include simulations, computer models, and physical prototypes.

5. How do engineers use proofs to improve their designs?

Engineers use proofs to identify potential flaws or weaknesses in their designs, and then make improvements or modifications to strengthen the design. Proofs also provide a way for engineers to communicate and justify their designs to others, such as clients or stakeholders, and can lead to more innovative and efficient solutions.