1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Engineering Application

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    I am currently in school getting ready to start on the electrical engineering program. I decided on this major for quite a few reasons. One of them being the obvious technical skills I would learn as well as application to my interests in everyday life. Another reason is the challenge, I wasn't any good with math to begin with and I figured that if I could learn to master this elusive beast called mathematics I could do anything.

Now I hear alot about engineers having to work in large groups of people. I am ok with this for the most part, but I suppose that I had a different idea in mind. When I'm done with school I'm not really sure what Ill be doing. I would like to use my skills for repair or freelance engineering (if it exists) instead of working for a large corporation or in an environment where I have to work closely with lots of others.

I apologize for my disjointed post and obvious lack of direction. I suppose I will boil this down into points in question form. Really I only have the one right now but I'm sure if you guys are willing I will have more later.

-Can an engineer be hired on a contractual/freelance basis? If so what kinds of things is he expected to do (electrical/computer engineer) and what sort of pay might he receive?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    Science and engineering are highly collaborative fields. You'll need to be sociable and willing to work with others to get by. In engineering, you'll have skills in a specific area, but likely not enough to handle a project on your own. Engineers of different types, along with individuals having other kinds of skills, all combine for the realisation of a project.

I'm not sure what directly concerns you, but contractual or freelance work of any type always requires a great network of contacts. A lot of people will build these networks when they work for larger companies.

I have had friends that have worked as electrical engineers in a 'lone' type position within a larger organisation. An example is of a friend that worked in a hospital repairing and replacing components in medical equipment. He did this job essentially on his own. It depends what sort of thing you want to be doing day-to-day.

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    What type of experiences have you had while working in groups? I assume once you get to a professional level things are different. But in my experience (school and retail management) I have always had trouble working within groups. People act immature don't take responsibility for their own work and I find it obnoxious. I can obviously deal I just worry about stuff like this. Another one of my motivations for doing anything school related what so ever is to not work in retail or a similar environment ever again.

I suppose I don't really have a point, I just wanted to talk to some engineers about engineering. Sometimes questions like these pop into my head. :)

5. Feb 13, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, by the time one works through an undergraduate degree (BS) in EE, and probably a Master's (MS), one will find that most colleagues are pretty responsible. Immature people tend to wash out pretty early.

Engineers can work as contractors, often through an agency, or as self-employed individuals. Pay depends on the particular specialty, skill and experience.

If one is serious about EE, then look into the IEEE - www.ieee.org, which is the largest international society in EE.

6. Feb 13, 2010 #5
    Is there a lot more jobs available for Engineers with a Masters than with a Bachelors? I read somewhere that the pay was like 10,000 higher starting wages for a masters, but engineering work can be done with a bachelors.

Thank you for the link btw.

7. Feb 13, 2010 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One can certainly work as an engineer with just a bachelor degree, and then gain experience on the job. Essentially a bachelor's degree covers the basics. The Master's degree involves supervised research and usually one does a thesis. For a PhD, one does independent (original) research which contributes to the field or extends the state-of-the-art.

The starting salary for MS is about $10K (give or take) greater than for a BS.

Browse IEEE's site for the various areas of specialty, as well as ideas on research and job opportunities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook