Engine Assistance: Find Help for Your Project in Austin, TX

In summary, the speaker has come up with an idea that they believe to be feasible, useful, and potentially lucrative. However, they lack the engineering and physics background to fully develop the project and are seeking assistance. They are unsure of how to find someone to help with calculations, details, and ideas, and are concerned about the business aspects of working with someone remotely. The speaker is considering contacting a licensed professional engineer for consultation and guidance, and is also open to receiving general advice and direction from others. They are aware of the importance of protecting their idea and are considering using non-disclosure agreements.
jhe1984
Howdy,

I've come up with an idea that I think is feasible and, if so, useful and possibly lucrative.

However, I've got no serious engineering or physics background and am thus looking to get some assistance with my project.

How do I go about finding someone to assist with this project - to handle details, calculations, and bounce ideas off of?

I am not necessarily interested in only people in my area, but I'm also not sure about the business aspects in "telecommuting" - contracts, payments, etc.

I live in Austin, TX so I'd imagine there are a number of engineering students at UT who'd possibly have the skill set, but then again I don't have the time or interest in weeding out skilled candidates from unskilled ones.

Finally, I'm certainly willing to compensate for any assistance.

So my question is, "Who do I ask and how do I go about finding them?"

Thanks!

PS - I can't really outbid Lockheed Martin for salaries (yet, ha), so I guess the offer does have limits. :grumpy:

Engineering news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to contact a professional engineer (licensed) that specializes in the area of interest you are persuing. If not for the long haul, then simply as a consultation. If it is indeed a new, lucrative possibility, a licensed professional will be able to help you in the other areas in terms of intellectual property, etc... that you would undoubtedly run into problems with.

And that's the sort of thing I can just find in the phone book or the internet?

Just don't disclose the details to anyone.

When you decide on discussing the details with anyone, have them sign a non-disclosure agreement.

The patent requirements are very specific - the claims are the key - and that is what is protected.

To patent an idea, it must meet 3 criteria - new, useful and nonobvious.

www.uspto.gov is a good place for information.

If you wish, you can bounce of ideas here, as long as they are general in nature. We could point you toward the right science or engineering discipline. For example, if it is a new energy source or something related to transportation, we might point you toward a mechanical engineer, or perhaps civil engineering as the case may be.

jhe1984 said:
And that's the sort of thing I can just find in the phone book or the internet?
Yes. A lot of university professors also consult on the side as well. Like Astronuc said, the intellectual claims are very important and the non-disclosure agreement is essential. That is why I would recommend a licensed individual. The fact that they are licensed says that the individual agrees to work by a set of engineering guidelines and principless, one of which is a pretty well defined code of ethics. Plus, if the person has a business and things get ugly, it's a heck of a lot easier going after that person legally than some guy at a college.

Do whatever you can to protect yourself and your interests.

FredGarvin said:
A lot of university professors also consult on the side as well.
I'd go to after the colleges as well. You can get yourself some slave-labor by getting a senior design project team to help you develop your idea. :biggrin: (After they've signed the NDA written by your lawyer, of course...)

Yikes. The college route is sounding better and better. Just got off the phone with an engineering design firm - $100 an hour is the starting price for consultation. :yuck:

1. What services are offered by engine assistance in Austin, TX?

Engine assistance in Austin, TX offers a wide range of services including engine diagnostics, repair, maintenance, and performance upgrades. They also provide assistance with engine swaps, custom fabrication, and tuning.

2. How experienced are the technicians at engine assistance in Austin, TX?

The technicians at engine assistance in Austin, TX are highly experienced and trained professionals with years of experience working on various types of engines. They have the necessary expertise and knowledge to handle any engine-related issue.

3. Can I get a quote for my project before scheduling an appointment?

Yes, most engine assistance in Austin, TX offer free quotes for projects. You can call or visit their website to provide details about your project and get an estimate of the cost and timeline.

4. Are there any warranties or guarantees for the services provided?

Engine assistance in Austin, TX typically offer warranties or guarantees for their services. It is important to inquire about their policies and read the terms and conditions carefully before agreeing to any services.

5. Do I need to bring my vehicle to the shop, or do they offer mobile services?

This depends on the specific engine assistance in Austin, TX that you choose. Some may offer mobile services where they will come to your location, while others may require you to bring your vehicle to their shop for services.