Engineing Career Path: Starting Undergrad & Future Options

In summary, the speaker is planning to pursue a career in Mechanical Engineering and is considering working for Tyco Electronics, which offers internships and potential for future employment. They are also interested in becoming a professor in Engineering in the distant future but believe that prior work experience is important. They are unsure if it would be better to gain work experience before pursuing a higher education or to do it directly after graduate school. The speaker also mentions the possibility of their company funding their further education. They are aware that a PhD is not necessary for employment as a professional engineer, but a Masters' degree is beneficial.
mslade
I will be starting a undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering shortly and just have a few questions about what I should work for in the future. I have a few different career paths that I would like to pursue but don't know if they would all be applicable. I am interesting in working for a company like Tyco Electronics. I know that they offer internships to college students and if you do well, you have a good chance of being hired. In the distant future though, I would be interested in possibly becoming a proffesor in Engineering, but I would like to work a good many years before doing so. I believe a good professor should have first hand experience before trying to teach others. My question is, would it be wise of me to get my BSME work a few years and try to get my MS/Phd later or get my further education directly after graduate school. I have heard from some people that if you get post baccalaureate education before really working, it actually works against you. I was wondering how true this is. Or would it be possible to work as an engineer and take classes and take many years to accomplish my Phd?

Physics news on Phys.org
mslade said:
I am interesting in working for a company like Tyco Electronics.

Just an FYI, they hire a lot more electrical engineers than mechanical engineers.
My question is, would it be wise of me to get my BSME work a few years and try to get my MS/Phd later or get my further education directly after graduate school.

It can work out either way. Sometimes you get lucky and your company pays for your higher education if you've worked there long enough. You don't necessarily need a PhD to get hired as a professional engineer, but a Masters' certainly helps.

1. What are the prerequisites for starting an undergraduate engineering program?

The specific prerequisites for an undergraduate engineering program may vary depending on the university or college. However, most programs typically require students to have a strong background in math, physics, and chemistry. It is also important for students to have good critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What types of engineering disciplines are available for undergraduate studies?

There are various engineering disciplines available for undergraduate studies, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Some universities also offer interdisciplinary programs that combine multiple engineering disciplines.

3. How can I decide which engineering discipline is right for me?

It is important to research and explore different engineering disciplines to determine which one aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also talk to current engineering students or professionals to gain insight into different disciplines and their career paths.

4. What are some future options for graduates with an engineering degree?

Engineering graduates have a wide range of career options, including working in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, technology, and healthcare. They can also pursue advanced degrees in engineering or related fields, such as business or law.

5. How can I prepare for a successful engineering career during my undergraduate studies?

Aside from excelling in coursework, students can also participate in internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities related to their chosen engineering discipline. Networking with professionals and attending career fairs can also help students gain valuable insights and connections for their future career path.