Engineering & Constructing a Goldburge Machine

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, this bellydancer chick made a machine that used water to turn a wheel which then turned a belt and then used gears to run a fan. She made a big mess.
Rasine
i am just about to start to engeneer and construct a "goldburge machine". goldburge was a cartoonest who drew complex machines that accomplised an every day task like brushing one's teeth.

i would like to hear from anyone who has done something simmilar. please include some success, failures, and tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a pretty big yearly competition to build the best Rube Goldberg machine.

http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/contest.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
There's a pretty big yearly competition to build the best Rube Goldberg machine.
The science fiction conventions that I went to years ago had a 'Gumball Rally' wherein they would give competitors identical kits of stuff like stir-sticks, rubber bands, cardboard, etc. and assign them a task that involved doing something with gumballs. Picking up the most, moving them from place to place, etc.
Also, I have a game that's awesome for doing stuff like that. It's called 'The Incredible Machine' made by Sierra. Most of it is a challenge where you're given a partially laid-out playfield, a bunch of extra parts, and a goal. You have to figure out what parts to put where in order to achieve it. It appears that just making it happen determines whether or not you win, because I've used more than one solution to the same level and won each of them.
What pertains more to you is the 'workshop' area where you can design your own levels from scratch. Mine only cost $5, and I've gotten hundreds of hours of fun out of it.

Rasine said:
i would like to hear from anyone who has done something simmilar. please include some success, failures, and tips.
You are talking about Rube Goldberg. I know who you mean.

Are you trying to make a model of one of his designs, or one of your own?

I've made a contraption or two, and can offer suggestions on specific problems.

This thread might belong in engineering though. You may also be swamped in helpers if you put your bellydancer drawing in your avatar, just so us guys realize you're a hot bellydancer chick.

I made one that used water to turn a wheel which then turned a belt and then used gears to run a fan. It made a big mess.

Related to Engineering & Constructing a Goldburge Machine

1. How does a Goldburge machine work?

A Goldburge machine is a complex creation that uses a series of interconnected mechanisms to perform a simple task. The machine is designed to start with a single action, and each subsequent action is triggered by the previous one, resulting in a chain reaction that ultimately completes the desired task.

2. What are the key components of a Goldburge machine?

The key components of a Goldburge machine include energy sources, such as gravity or electricity, and various types of simple machines, such as levers, pulleys, and ramps. Other important components include dominoes, marbles, and different types of switches and triggers.

3. What are the challenges of engineering a Goldburge machine?

One of the biggest challenges of engineering a Goldburge machine is ensuring that each component works seamlessly with the others. This requires precise calculations and measurements, as well as a deep understanding of physics and mechanics. Additionally, the machine must be designed in a way that allows for easy troubleshooting and adjustments if something goes wrong.

4. Are there any real-world applications for Goldburge machines?

While Goldburge machines may seem like a fun and impractical invention, they have actually been used in various industries for tasks such as sorting and packaging products, testing equipment and systems, and even in art installations. They can also be used as a teaching tool for physics and engineering concepts.

5. How can I get started in building my own Goldburge machine?

If you are interested in building your own Goldburge machine, start by researching and learning about the different types of simple machines and how they work. You can also find inspiration from existing Goldburge machines and videos of them in action. Once you have a basic understanding, start designing and prototyping your machine, and don't be afraid to experiment and make adjustments along the way.