Engineering Consulting: All You Need to Know

• Engineering
  • Thread starter WolfpackPride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of engineering consulting, including what it entails, how to become one, and the potential salary and work hours. It is recommended to gain experience and make contacts before pursuing a career as an independent consultant.
WolfpackPride
Hey Guys,

I'm a freshmen EE at NCSU (thinking about power systems as of now). Lately, I've been hearing a few people in one of my classes talking about engineering consulting and it sounded somewhat interesting. What exactly is an engineering consultant and what do they do? Also, how could one become a consultant (degrees, experience, certifications, etc.). What kind of salary do they usually make and hours do they work? From what I gathered, it usually takes years after earning a degree to become one (my guess is like 7 years after a BSEE or 5 after a MSEE) but you have a lot of flexibility and can basically do whatever type of work that you want.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
WolfpackPride said:
Hey Guys,

I'm a freshmen EE at NCSU (thinking about power systems as of now). Lately, I've been hearing a few people in one of my classes talking about engineering consulting and it sounded somewhat interesting. What exactly is an engineering consultant and what do they do? Also, how could one become a consultant (degrees, experience, certifications, etc.). What kind of salary do they usually make and hours do they work? From what I gathered, it usually takes years after earning a degree to become one (my guess is like 7 years after a BSEE or 5 after a MSEE) but you have a lot of flexibility and can basically do whatever type of work that you want.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Engineering consultants come in many different varieties. You may be hired for a particular project ranging in months or even years, or for a specific part of a project. You may be hired as a pseudo-employee also. As far as what you will do, it varies but will remain within the engineering discipline.

Once you graduate, you'll definitely need some experience if you want to consult on your own (independent consultant). If you joint a consulting firm you can gain valuable experience as you work as an employee of the firm (even though you are consulting for another company).

Most consultant I know had around 10 years of experience before they decided to be independent consultants but there is no fixed requirement. Most of them have PE's also which requires a specific amount of time working under another PE (requirements vary by state so check with NCEES).

Keep in mind that consulting can be feast or famine at times and you don't have the security of a large company. Plus you'll need to be insured very well. Most companies I worked for when I consulted required a $1 million in CLI with a $5 million umbrella policy. It cost me about $40,000/year for that (that was a few years back). Consulting firms usually either cover that completely or if you work as an sub-contractor for them, they'll charge you a few hundred bucks a month to work under their policy.

I would recommend working for at least five years first, getting your PE, and most importantly making a lot of contacts! You'll need them for future work.

Good luck.

CS

I am not an expert in the field of engineering consulting, but I can provide some general information on the topic. Engineering consulting is a specialized field within the broader field of engineering. Consultants use their technical expertise to provide advice, solutions, and recommendations to clients on various engineering projects and issues. This can include anything from designing a new product or system to troubleshooting and improving existing processes. Consultants may also conduct research and analysis to help clients make informed decisions about their projects.

To become an engineering consultant, one typically needs to have a degree in engineering, preferably with a focus on the specific area they want to consult in (such as power systems in your case). A master's degree may also be beneficial, as it demonstrates a higher level of expertise and knowledge. Additionally, gaining experience in the field through internships or working in an engineering role can also be helpful in becoming a consultant. Certifications may also be required depending on the specific industry or area of consulting.

In terms of salary, engineering consultants can make a good living, with the potential for high earnings as they gain more experience and specialize in a certain area. However, the exact salary can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, industry, and level of experience. As for hours, consultants may have a more flexible schedule compared to traditional engineering roles, but they may also have to work longer hours or travel for client meetings and projects.

Overall, becoming an engineering consultant can be a rewarding career path for those with a strong technical background and a passion for problem-solving and helping clients in various industries. I would recommend researching more about the field and speaking with professionals in the industry to gain a better understanding of the specific requirements and opportunities available. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is engineering consulting?

Engineering consulting is a service that offers specialized expertise and advice to businesses, organizations, or individuals seeking solutions to engineering-related problems. This can include everything from design and development to project management and technical support.

2. What are the benefits of hiring an engineering consulting firm?

Hiring an engineering consulting firm can provide several benefits, such as access to specialized knowledge and skills, a fresh perspective on a project, and the ability to save time and resources by outsourcing certain tasks. They can also offer objective and unbiased advice, as they are not directly involved in the project or organization.

3. How do I choose the right engineering consulting firm?

Choosing the right engineering consulting firm can be a daunting task. It is important to research and compare different firms based on their expertise, experience, and reputation. You should also consider their communication and project management skills, as well as their cost and timeline estimates.

4. Can engineering consulting firms help with regulatory compliance?

Yes, many engineering consulting firms offer services related to regulatory compliance, such as conducting environmental impact assessments, obtaining permits and approvals, and ensuring compliance with building codes and regulations. They can also provide guidance on how to meet regulatory requirements and avoid potential issues.

5. Is engineering consulting only for large businesses?

No, engineering consulting can benefit businesses of all sizes. Small and medium-sized businesses may not have the resources or expertise to handle certain engineering tasks, making consulting firms a valuable resource. They can also provide cost-effective solutions for startups and entrepreneurs looking to bring their ideas to life.