1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Degree Pursue

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    Hi, I’m quite confused as to what course I should take for college. I’m still in my senior year in high school but I’m kind of pressured by my parents because they want me to be a mechanical engineer. However, my heart says that I should be a civil engineer and be a geotechnical engineer someday. But I’m afraid that my parents will be mad at me if I don’t follow them. So I want to ask for advice regarding this matter.
    I also want to know which is better. Should I go for mechanical engineering or just go for civil engineering instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Why are you limiting yourself to ME? When you get to college keep an open mind and see what others are pursuing, see what interests you, see what the economy is supporting.

I have two nieces, one majored in Petroleum Engineering and the other in Civil Engineering who just graduated recently both working for Oil companies and both doing quite well.

For the future, robotics, nano-tech, wearable electronics, environment and healthcare seem to be the big fields.

And I 'm sure there are others. Go to a school with lots of options and then check them out. Enjoy your college experience and change the world but don't let the world change you.

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    You won't really have to pick until your junior year of college. If your parents are really going to be that upset just say your doing mechanical. Even if you do Civil they have no way of knowing. You could probably even do both depending on the universities rules. Why do your parents care so much anyway? It isn't like there is a significant difference between the two in anyway except for what you are working on.

You may have to retake some stupid introduction class, but all the basic math, science, and general engineering classes SHOULD be the same. Anything with technology will be big in the future, but once a few bridges start falling down Civil Engineering will be a huge deal. Frankly I think its way easier anyway.

Also, geotechnical engineering is the least scientific of all engineering. You get 5 borings to and have to tell the structural what properties he will have to work with in between those borings. In reality, you are guessing. Geotechnical engineering can be very scientific if you know what you are working with, but that never happens. At least to an extent you are comfortable with. In the end you take your best guess and multiply or divide it by a factor of 2.5 for safety.

5. Jul 5, 2013 #4
    Follow your dreams. Whatever interests you, that is what you need to pursue and not what your parents told you. You will be the one in the difficult situation after all when you start pursuing the degree. Don't be afraid to tell your parents about your decision and tell them sincerely what you like.
    They will understand you for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook