Mechanical or Civil Engineering: Which Should I Choose?

In summary, the discussion is about a student who is unsure about what course to take in college. Their parents want them to pursue mechanical engineering, but the student's heart is set on civil engineering and becoming a geotechnical engineer. They are seeking advice and wondering which option is better. The person they are talking to suggests keeping an open mind and exploring different options in college. They also mention that there is no significant difference between the two fields and that technology-related fields will be in demand in the future. They encourage the student to follow their dreams and not be afraid to talk to their parents about their decision.
jackkingsford
Hi, I’m quite confused as to what course I should take for college. I’m still in my senior year in high school but I’m kind of pressured by my parents because they want me to be a mechanical engineer. However, my heart says that I should be a civil engineer and be a geotechnical engineer someday. But I’m afraid that my parents will be mad at me if I don’t follow them. So I want to ask for advice regarding this matter.
I also want to know which is better. Should I go for mechanical engineering or just go for civil engineering instead?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why are you limiting yourself to ME? When you get to college keep an open mind and see what others are pursuing, see what interests you, see what the economy is supporting.

I have two nieces, one majored in Petroleum Engineering and the other in Civil Engineering who just graduated recently both working for Oil companies and both doing quite well.

For the future, robotics, nano-tech, wearable electronics, environment and healthcare seem to be the big fields.

And I 'm sure there are others. Go to a school with lots of options and then check them out. Enjoy your college experience and change the world but don't let the world change you.

You won't really have to pick until your junior year of college. If your parents are really going to be that upset just say your doing mechanical. Even if you do Civil they have no way of knowing. You could probably even do both depending on the universities rules. Why do your parents care so much anyway? It isn't like there is a significant difference between the two in anyway except for what you are working on.

You may have to retake some stupid introduction class, but all the basic math, science, and general engineering classes SHOULD be the same. Anything with technology will be big in the future, but once a few bridges start falling down Civil Engineering will be a huge deal. Frankly I think its way easier anyway.

Also, geotechnical engineering is the least scientific of all engineering. You get 5 borings to and have to tell the structural what properties he will have to work with in between those borings. In reality, you are guessing. Geotechnical engineering can be very scientific if you know what you are working with, but that never happens. At least to an extent you are comfortable with. In the end you take your best guess and multiply or divide it by a factor of 2.5 for safety.

Follow your dreams. Whatever interests you, that is what you need to pursue and not what your parents told you. You will be the one in the difficult situation after all when you start pursuing the degree. Don't be afraid to tell your parents about your decision and tell them sincerely what you like.
They will understand you for sure.

I understand the importance of careful decision-making and following your own passions and interests. It is completely normal to feel torn between different paths, especially when it comes to choosing a career.

Firstly, I want to assure you that both mechanical and civil engineering are highly respected and valuable fields of study. Both have their own unique challenges and opportunities for growth and success. It is important to remember that ultimately, the decision should be based on what you are passionate about and what aligns with your interests and strengths.

That being said, I encourage you to have an open and honest conversation with your parents about your career aspirations. Explain to them your interests in civil engineering and the specific field of geotechnical engineering. They may not understand the differences between the two fields and the potential opportunities they offer. It is important for them to support and encourage you in your chosen path, rather than pressure you into something that may not make you happy in the long run.

In terms of which is "better," it really depends on your personal interests and goals. Mechanical engineering may offer a wider range of job opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. Civil engineering, on the other hand, may offer more opportunities in construction, infrastructure, and environmental engineering. It is important to research and understand the job market for both fields and see which aligns more with your career goals.

In the end, it is important to choose a career that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment. Follow your heart and make a decision that is best for you, rather than trying to please others. Good luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is an engineering degree?

An engineering degree is an academic degree awarded to students who have completed a program of study in the field of engineering. It typically requires four years of study and covers a wide range of topics, including math, science, and engineering principles.

2. What are the different types of engineering degrees?

There are several types of engineering degrees, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of engineering and may have different course requirements.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an engineering degree?

Pursuing an engineering degree can lead to a variety of benefits, including a high-paying career, job stability, and opportunities for advancement. It also allows individuals to use their problem-solving skills and creativity to develop solutions to real-world problems.

4. What are the prerequisites for pursuing an engineering degree?

The prerequisites for pursuing an engineering degree may vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs require a strong background in math and science, as well as a high school diploma or equivalent.

5. What career options are available with an engineering degree?

An engineering degree can lead to a wide range of career options, including roles in aerospace, construction, energy, manufacturing, and technology industries. Some common job titles for engineering graduates include engineer, project manager, consultant, and researcher.