Engineering design ideas

In summary, the problem is that quagga mussels are reducing the flow of the pipe system. There is no price limit, but the solution has to be reasonable. Solutions that have been mentioned include adding a grate system (filters) or throwing cyanide into the coolant.
only_huce
For my bioengineering class, my project group and I were presented with the following problem for a design report:

There is a nuclear reactor which uses a pipe system for cooling. This pipe system is comprised of 2 units with 6 pipes each. Each of the pipes contain a pump, and each of them create a flow rate of 760 m^3/s. The thickness of these pipes are 2.5 cm, and each of the pipes are 2.74 m. Quagga Mussels have been nestling themselves on the interior of the pipes and reducing flow. We have to figure out a way to keep the flow within 95% of flow without the mussels. There is no price limit, but the solution has to be reasonable. I'm not looking for a specific answer, but I was just wondering if someone could give a general direction for a solution.
Some possible solutions that I have thought of have been adding a grate system (filters).

Engineering news on Phys.org
only_huce said:
For my bioengineering class, my project group and I were presented with the following problem for a design report:

There is a nuclear reactor which uses a pipe system for cooling. This pipe system is comprised of 2 units with 6 pipes each. Each of the pipes contain a pump, and each of them create a flow rate of 760 m^3/s. The thickness of these pipes are 2.5 cm, and each of the pipes are 2.74 m. Quagga Mussels have been nestling themselves on the interior of the pipes and reducing flow. We have to figure out a way to keep the flow within 95% of flow without the mussels. There is no price limit, but the solution has to be reasonable. I'm not looking for a specific answer, but I was just wondering if someone could give a general direction for a solution.
Some possible solutions that I have thought of have been adding a grate system (filters).

What questions must be answered before you can begin working on a solution?

Maybe not what you're looking for, but...
If it's a guaranteed-closed system, I'd throw some cyanide into the coolant.

1. What is engineering design?

Engineering design is the process of creating solutions to solve problems or improve existing systems through the application of scientific and mathematical principles. It involves identifying a problem, brainstorming and researching potential solutions, and then creating and testing prototypes to find the most effective solution.

2. What are some key principles of engineering design?

Some key principles of engineering design include identifying the problem, considering constraints and limitations, creating multiple potential solutions, testing and refining prototypes, and considering the impact on the environment and society.

3. How do engineers come up with design ideas?

Engineers come up with design ideas through a combination of critical thinking, creativity, and technical knowledge. They also often collaborate with other engineers and experts in related fields to brainstorm and refine ideas.

4. What are some common steps in the engineering design process?

The engineering design process typically involves the following steps: problem identification, research and brainstorming, concept development, prototyping, testing and evaluation, and final design implementation. However, the specific steps may vary depending on the project and the engineering discipline.

5. How is engineering design different from other design processes?

Engineering design differs from other design processes in that it focuses on solving problems and creating functional solutions, rather than just aesthetics. It also involves a systematic and iterative approach, as well as considering technical and practical constraints, while still being creative and innovative.