Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering design problem

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    hello i am new to this forum..i have been set a problem whereby i am asked to design a machine to remove radioactive fuel elements which are contained in cylinders. i am asked to only look at the mechanical aspects (lifting device) of the design. Density and measurements were given and mass of each cyclinder was calculated at 70kg. The machine will be controlled remotely and vision systems can be used. For mobility, i have been looking into radio controlled bomb disposal vehicles and for the lifting devices research has been done on hoist, cranes, telescopic arm, robotic arm etc.

The problem section is 4m long and 0.7m wide. The channel is 2.5m deep and full of water and some sludge.The headroom above the floor is only 2m and access is from one side (see sketch).

My questions is, what are some of the possible calcuations one can do when designing/selecting an appropriate lifiting mechanism?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

Lok

How about an electromagnet?

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    oops i forgot to mention that the cylinders are aluminium and hence non magnetic.:approve:

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Lok

Electromagnets work on aluminum too :P.

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5
    are the cylinders radioactive?
    is the robot ever to come out of the hot area if it breaks?

dr

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6
    Aluminium is a paramagnetic material and is said to be 'non-magnetic'.
    It is assumed that the robot is for 'one time' use only as it will be contaminated after retriving the cylinders.

8. Feb 4, 2010 #7

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Reactivity control and reactivity rate control. As fissionable material is moved, temperature changed, moderator changed, its proximity to criticality must be monitored and controlled. Conceptually, link the lifting mechanism control with reactivity protection and analysis.

9. Feb 4, 2010 #8

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Oh yeah, decay heat removal provisions. Strain limiting in addition to stress limiting. The SL-1 accident was caused by uncontrolled strain recovery.

10. Feb 13, 2010 #9
  11. Feb 15, 2010 #10
    hi i am working in non uniform beam design (backhoe loader ) any one can help me what the methods can be used to calculate the dimensions????????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook