Engineering Dilemma: ME or Aerospace?

In summary, the conversation suggests that someone is interested in aerospace engineering for a variety of reasons, including the enjoyment of working with space ships and satellites, and the potential for finding employment in a variety of industries related to aerospace.
renob
I wanted to go into mechanical engineering for some time now, but recently realized that I am more interested in aerospace engineering. I was planning on first going to community college then transferring to the University of California for ME, but they don't have aerospace there. I am confused because on their ME website it says they cover aeronautics, and astronautics. Should I stick with ME or go to a different school for aerospace?

Physics news on Phys.org
By University of California, do you mean Berkeley? Just wondering.I'm doing my Aerospace Engineering degree at UT Austin...definitely love my major. What exactly are you interested in with regards to "aerospace"? It's true that a lot of Mechanical engineering can be transferred or applied to aerospace, and that many mechanical engineers also can be put on aerospace related jobs, but I guess it just depends on how much you care for aerospace, and specifically what fields in aerospace you are interested in.

Yea I meant UC Berkley. My friend just transferred in there as a junior.

I'm actually intersted in space ships and satellites and think it would be fun to be able to work on them and possibly have one up in space.

Ah, space route. I'm currently doing the space route as well...

So just for a better idea, are you interested more in say, programming? The actual hands on construction of the various components of satellites? The Guidance, Navigation, and Control of them?

I think I would like to design and control them. Recently I have had an interest in future space missions that talk about sending satellites far into the galaxy and stuff like that. I have just always had an interest in space.

I'm considering aerospace because I think it combines engineering (I like science and math) with my interest in space.

I worked for a time for an aerospace components manufacturer in the Chicago area, and I think we had entirely MEs and EEs working there. I was not aware of an aero in the company anywhere. So, for what it is worth, there is aerospace component work available without an aero degree, of that I can speak from personal experience.

I think a lot of the jobs, especially in the actual manufacturing/designing of components can be usually done with either Mech or Aero
The only real times where it would be much more advantageous for Aero is for high speed fluid dynamics and GNC work, based on the different coursework in both departments.

What kind of jobs are catered towards aerospace engineers then?

1. What is the main difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that involves the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems and devices. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies.

2. Which field offers more job opportunities and growth potential?

Both mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities and have strong growth potential. However, the demand for aerospace engineers is expected to increase due to the growing need for new aircraft and spacecraft technologies.

3. Is it possible to switch between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering during my studies or career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two fields during your studies or career. Many universities offer dual degree programs that allow students to study both mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering. In terms of career, the skills and knowledge gained in one field can be transferable to the other, making it possible to switch between them.

4. Which field requires more advanced mathematics and physics knowledge?

Both mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. However, aerospace engineering may require more advanced knowledge in these subjects as it involves the study of complex systems such as aircraft and spacecraft.

5. What are the key skills and qualities needed to succeed in either field?

Some key skills and qualities needed for success in both mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering include strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, is essential in both fields.