Understanding Engineering Drawings: Deciphering Front and Bottom Views

• Thread starter hunter300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: There is no "rep system" per se, but anyone is welcome to post comments and feedback on others' work.
hunter300
Hi,

Could somebody help me with this please...its probably really simple but i am just so confused...

Untitled.jpg

the bottom view shows the plan view and top shows front view wat i don't get is that why does the front view have the lines that i hav indicated with yellow arrows...
and secondly how would u decide whether the component is circular tube or non-circular i.e flat from the front view...

Please help me

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The left yellow line is the bottom tangent of the circular feature on the left hand side of the bottom view. The right yellow line is the left edge of the "U" shape feature.

If you ever wonder where a line comes from, simply draw a construction line perpendicular to the view line that separates the two views and it will intersect the feature that is responsible for the line.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
The left yellow line is the bottom tangent of the circular feature on the left hand side of the bottom view. The right yellow line is the left edge of the "U" shape feature.

If you ever wonder where a line comes from, simply draw a construction line perpendicular to the view line that separates the two views and it will intersect the feature that is responsible for the line.

Thanx a lot for your help...i understand which feature is responsible for those lines but wat i don't get is that why are they are drawn the way they are...

I am strugling with wat it looks like interm of physical appearance...

A circle on its side looks like a rectangle. It is complicated because of the radii that are helping to eliminate the sharp corners.

I threw together a quick 3D for you. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 393
FredGarvin said:
I threw together a quick 3D for you. Hope it helps.

Waooooooooooooo... thanks ever so much that helps a lot except i have handed in my drawings this morning...

But thanks a lot for your helpppppppppppp...seriously

does this forum hav like a rep system...coz i would love to give rep u

Ur AWESOME

No prob.

1. What is the purpose of engineering drawings?

Engineering drawings are used to communicate the design and specifications of a product or structure to others involved in the manufacturing or building process. They provide detailed information on dimensions, materials, and assembly instructions, allowing for accurate and efficient production.

2. What are the different types of engineering drawings?

There are several types of engineering drawings, including orthographic, isometric, and perspective drawings. Orthographic drawings show multiple views of an object, while isometric drawings show a 3D representation. Perspective drawings provide a more realistic view of the object by incorporating depth and foreshortening.

3. How are engineering drawings created?

Engineering drawings are typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software. This allows for precise measurements and easy editing. However, some simpler drawings may still be created by hand using drafting tools such as rulers and protractors.

4. What are the common symbols used in engineering drawings?

Common symbols used in engineering drawings include lines, arrows, and geometric shapes to represent different features and dimensions of the object. Other symbols may indicate materials, surface finishes, or tolerances.

5. Why is it important to follow standard conventions and practices when creating engineering drawings?

Standard conventions and practices ensure that engineering drawings are clear, accurate, and consistent. This is important for communication between different teams and for the successful production of the designed object. It also allows for easy interpretation and understanding by those who are familiar with the standard conventions.