Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Drawings (Year 1)

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Could somebody help me with this please....its probably really simple but i am just so confused...

Untitled.jpg

the bottom view shows the plan view and top shows front view wat i don't get is that why does the front view have the lines that i hav indicated with yellow arrows....
    and secondly how would u decide whether the component is circular tube or non-circular i.e flat from the front view....

Please help me

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The left yellow line is the bottom tangent of the circular feature on the left hand side of the bottom view. The right yellow line is the left edge of the "U" shape feature.

If you ever wonder where a line comes from, simply draw a construction line perpendicular to the view line that separates the two views and it will intersect the feature that is responsible for the line.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Thanx alot for your help....i understand which feature is responsible for those lines but wat i don't get is that why are they are drawn the way they are....

I am strugling with wat it looks like interm of physical appearance...

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A circle on its side looks like a rectangle. It is complicated because of the radii that are helping to eliminate the sharp corners.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I threw together a quick 3D for you. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6
    Waooooooooooooo.... thanx ever so much that helps alot except i have handed in my drawings this morning.....

But thanx alot for your helpppppppppppp...seriously

does this forum hav like a rep system...coz i would love to give rep u

Ur AWESOME

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

No prob.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook