Analyzing Dynamic Orbits: Tension, Speed, and Angular Momentum Calculations

In summary, we have a ball of 10kg mass suspended by a cable that rotates in a circular orbit A with a radius of 1m and a plane 3m below the floor. We are asked to calculate the tension in the cable, the speed of the ball in orbit A, and the angular momentum about the vertical axis. The motor then draws in the cable, changing the radius to 0.5m for orbit B. We are asked to find the new speed of the ball, the angle between the cable and vertical axis, and the height gained by the ball. Using the conservation of angular momentum, we find that the new speed is 3.616 m/s. Using this speed, we can calculate the angle
sharkNC

Homework Statement

A ball of 10kg mass is suspended by a cable that passes through a hole in a floor. The ball rotates in a circular orbit, A, that is in a plane that is 3m below the floor. If the orbit has a radius of 1m, calculate;

a) Tension in the cable
b) speed va of the ball in orbit A
c) angular momentum about the vertical axis

The motor then draws in the cable until the ball rotates in orbit B. If the radius of orbit B is 0.5m, calculate;

d)The new speed vb of the ball
e) The angle between the cable and vertical axis
f) The height, h, gained by the ball

Homework Equations

θa - tan-1(1/3) = 18.43

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to a-c by working out the tension as T = 10x9.81/cos18.43 = 103.4 N
the velocity √1x103.4xsin18.43/10 = 1.808 m/s
the angular momentum as L = r x mv = 1 x 10 x 1.808 = 18.08

When I attempted to do the rest of the question I got the new speed to be half of the original speed and angle B to be smaller. However in the question the image for angle B looks to be greater than angle A so I am not sure whether its just the question or if I am doing something wrong to calculate the angle. (I find the sum of the forces in the x and y direction and make them equal to each other and then find angle B). For part f I am using the conservation of energy however when I make h the subject I find that it comes out as 3 which doesn't make sense.

Can someone please help me. I have been stuck on this question for a long time and cannot seem to find where I have gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you compute the new speed of the ball?

I assumed that the angular momentum was constant so 18.08 = 0.5 x 10v and v as 0.904

If the new radius is half the original radius and angular momentum is conserved, how can the new speed be half the original speed? Note that if you substitute v = 0.904 into 18.08 = 0.5 x 10v, you get 18.08 = 4.52, which can't be right.

Yes you're right sorry. So assuming angular momentum is conserved then from that equation v = 3.616. so for part e to get the angle I used mv^2/rsintheta = mg/costheta to get tantheta = v^2/rg and theta as 69.43°. Does that sound correct?

Yes, that looks good.

1. What is Engineering Dynamics?

Engineering Dynamics is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of forces and motion on objects. It involves the application of principles from physics and mathematics to analyze and design systems that are in motion.

2. What are some common engineering dynamics problems?

Common engineering dynamics problems include analyzing the motion of rigid bodies, calculating forces and moments acting on objects, determining velocities and accelerations, and designing systems for stable and efficient motion.

3. How is Engineering Dynamics used in real-world applications?

Engineering Dynamics is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, aircrafts, and machinery, analyzing the stability of structures, and predicting the behavior of moving objects in different environments.

4. What are some important principles in Engineering Dynamics?

Some important principles in Engineering Dynamics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the concept of equilibrium. These principles are used to analyze and solve problems related to forces and motion in engineering systems.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Engineering Dynamics?

To improve understanding of Engineering Dynamics, one can practice solving a variety of problems, attend lectures or workshops, and use simulation software to visualize and analyze different scenarios. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics.