1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Dynamics problem

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of 10kg mass is suspended by a cable that passes through a hole in a floor. The ball rotates in a circular orbit, A, that is in a plane that is 3m below the floor. If the orbit has a radius of 1m, calculate;

a) Tension in the cable
    b) speed va of the ball in orbit A
    c) angular momentum about the vertical axis

The motor then draws in the cable until the ball rotates in orbit B. If the radius of orbit B is 0.5m, calculate;

d)The new speed vb of the ball
    e) The angle between the cable and vertical axis
    f) The height, h, gained by the ball

2. Relevant equations
    θa - tan-1(1/3) = 18.43

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am able to a-c by working out the tension as T = 10x9.81/cos18.43 = 103.4 N
    the velocity √1x103.4xsin18.43/10 = 1.808 m/s
    the angular momentum as L = r x mv = 1 x 10 x 1.808 = 18.08

When I attempted to do the rest of the question I got the new speed to be half of the original speed and angle B to be smaller. However in the question the image for angle B looks to be greater than angle A so I am not sure whether its just the question or if I am doing something wrong to calculate the angle. (I find the sum of the forces in the x and y direction and make them equal to each other and then find angle B). For part f I am using the conservation of energy however when I make h the subject I find that it comes out as 3 which doesn't make sense.

Can someone please help me. I have been stuck on this question for a long time and cannot seem to find where I have gone wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2
    How did you compute the new speed of the ball?

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    I assumed that the angular momentum was constant so 18.08 = 0.5 x 10v and v as 0.904

5. Aug 27, 2013 #4
    If the new radius is half the original radius and angular momentum is conserved, how can the new speed be half the original speed? Note that if you substitute v = 0.904 into 18.08 = 0.5 x 10v, you get 18.08 = 4.52, which can't be right.

6. Aug 27, 2013 #5
    Yes you're right sorry. So assuming angular momentum is conserved then from that equation v = 3.616. so for part e to get the angle I used mv^2/rsintheta = mg/costheta to get tantheta = v^2/rg and theta as 69.43°. Does that sound correct?

7. Aug 27, 2013 #6
    Yes, that looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted