1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Economy

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Standby Power for water utility pumps and other electrical devices is provided by diesel-powered generators. As an Alternative, the utility can use natural gas to power generators, but it will be a few years before the gas is available at remote sites. The utility estimates that by switching to gas, it will save $25,912 per year, starting 3 years from now. at an interest rate of 10% per year, determine the present worth in year 0 of the projected savings that will occur in years 3 through 10.

2. Relevant equations

P = F(1/(1+i)^n)

3. The attempt at a solution

Drew out the timeline, and have a arrow up at t = 3 with value 25,912. With the interest rate of 10% a year, does it go up in value or down? Also how do I even solve this problem, my professor is horrible, in the notes he gives you nothing relevent to the problems he assigns. I honestly am surprised that he even gets paid to teach.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted