1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Entry Subjects

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and was just wondering from everyone who has a wider understanding on physics and engineering and it's subject necessities.

I'm currently starting my A-Levels and am just wondering if I would like to take a career in engineering what subjects are REQUIRED or desired by most universities.

Right now I am thinking of taking:
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    - Math
    - Economics

The only problem is I am thinking of taking Additional Math/Further Pure Mathematics but I feel that I won't be able to cope with the difficulty as well as work load but I know that most universities will see people with an additional mathematics subject choice as an advantage.

So I'm just wondering how important it is to take up additional maths at A-Levels for engineering in university. Will it drastically help? Will it make engineering easier?

Thank you in advance!
    - Jasper

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Math" tells me nothing about the subject matter. Is this Algebra, Trig, Calculus, what?

4. Jul 24, 2015 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

One key requirement is learning how to google. try *university you want to attend* + *programme you want to enrol in* + entry requirements
    If any questions remain, call the enrolment office.

IME the workload and difficulty of an engineering degree is orders of magnitude greater than high school. Be prepared, take as much HS math as you can.

5. Jul 24, 2015 #4
    Billy - A levels are very good preparation for degree study. That is what they are for. A levels are equivalent to the first year of university in many countries (i.e. USA).

Jasper - if you do very well in your A levels, (A grades), then you should be well prepared to start your degree. Remember, you are not expected to know everything when you start university, you are just expected to be prepared to learn.

During your degree you will be writing a lot of reports. Some will be technical reports; some will be to convey information to a general audience. Good English skills are important. A good English qualification will help you (at least a high GCSE grade). When you do start to write reports, I recommend an excellent book by Bowden called Writing A Report.

As has been advised, take a look on the university's enrolment page. Generally, Maths/Further Maths, Physics, English. If you are going to do bio-engineering of chemical engineering, then it makes sense to study biology or chemistry - but do follow the university's requirements to the letter. They are the ones making the decision!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook