Engineering Fields, controls engineering and photonics

In summary, when choosing between a Master's degree in Industrial Automation or Photonics, consider your career goals, skills and interests, and the opportunities available in each field.
nebbione
Hi everyone, next year i'll get a Bachelor in Computer Engineering , then i should choose a Master course...
I really like electronics, electronics projects, robotics and controls, physics and photonics.
The doubt is that in my university there are masters (relatively to my interests) in :
- Computer Engineering with specialty in : "Industrial Automation" (where you practically become a robotics and controls engineer)
- Electronics Engineering with specialty in : "Photonics" (where you become a photonics engineer, and some kind of "Engineer Physicist"

My doubt is what should i choose, can you please give me an advice ?
Or can you simply give me the evidences of Pros and Cons?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The decision of what to choose for your Master's degree depends on a few factors: your career goals, your skills and interests, and the availability of courses in each specialty. If you are interested in both industrial automation and photonics, then the best way to decide is to research each field and determine which one provides the best opportunities for you. In terms of pros and cons, industrial automation could offer you a more hands-on experience with robotics and controls, while photonics could provide more theoretical knowledge and insight into the physics of light. Industrial automation may also provide more job opportunities, as it is a rapidly growing field. On the other hand, a degree in photonics could lead to more research and development opportunities. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what you want to do with your career and which field can help you reach those goals.

1. What is the difference between engineering fields, controls engineering, and photonics?

Engineering fields encompass a wide range of disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. Controls engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the design and implementation of control systems for machines and processes. Photonics is a subfield of physics and engineering that deals with the study and manipulation of light.

2. What are some common applications of controls engineering?

Controls engineering is used in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, and automotive. Common applications include robotics, automation, and process control systems.

3. How does photonics relate to engineering fields?

Photonics is closely related to engineering fields such as electrical and optical engineering. Many engineers use principles of photonics in the design and development of devices such as lasers, fiber optics, and photovoltaic cells.

4. What skills are needed for a career in controls engineering?

A strong background in math, physics, and computer science is essential for a career in controls engineering. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

5. What are some emerging technologies in the field of photonics?

Some emerging technologies in photonics include quantum computing, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) systems for autonomous vehicles, and photonic integrated circuits for faster and more efficient data processing.