1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Graduate School Competitiveness

1. Mar 17, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I'm a recent physics graduate (BS) who is having second thoughts about spending the next 5-6 years of my life in a physics PhD. program. I thought I wanted to do applied physics, but to keep options open I would like to include some engineering schools in my mix (will be applying next year).

Obviously places like MIT and Stanford are hard to get into, but I am trying to gauge how hard it is to get into places like U Colorado Boulder, or Northwestern, etc. E.g. respected places, but not super-elite. I am only familiar with physics schools in this regard. My College (William and Mary) does not offer an engineering program, or I'd ask them.

I've got a 3.34 GPA, decent letters, good general GRE scores and have taken two semesters of classical mech. quantum mech. , and E&M. I have also had a course in MATLAB, analog electronics, linear algebra, ODEs, and know a bit of C++.

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted