1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering in europe

  1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    I recently graduated with a bachelors in mechanical engineering from Canada. Right now I'm working and am really wanting to take off to Europe at the first chance I get.

    When looking at job openings in Europe I was surprised that the majority of positions available required master’s degree. Is a graduate degree a minimum requirement for practising engineering and getting a licence in Europe?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    Ok, I will make this a very informative post. As much info as I could give at this present moment (without googling that much.... google at your own discretion).

    You come from a rich country with a western pragmatic view. (not saying that anything else is bad, but you will have a bit of a difficulty due to discrimination against non-whites and non-westerners). You will have probably no problem at all with the issuing of a work visa for the EU. Especially when you have much needed expertise. Although I wouldn't do "ski-bumming" that much.

    The countries which have the greatest potential for a non-russianspeaking engineer (but english and may I be so dare as to say a bit of french?) would be almost any country west of Berlin. The working language of many european corporations are in fact english (surprise :rolleyes:) although on breaks they probably will be talking the native tongue. For a mechanical engineer I would probably go to the following countries; UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Benelux-countries, spain and scandinavia. Maybe a couple of central european countries to, but the pay isn't that good there (unless you're with a brand-name multinational).

    Next off, put your CV and cover letter on monster. A number of corporations should be contacting you. Besides, I would save up a lot on money for the phone bill, because you will google a lot and actually talk to international recruiters situated in europe.

    Plus, the majority of positions doesn't require a masters degree. Those are the only one that gets coverage across the atlantic I presume. There are a lot of positions that only require a bachelors. But those positions you probably need to be on-site to apply for.
  4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    Isn't Canada considered a "western" country?

    As a Canadian you probably won't be discriminated against in Europe - at least you will not experience any more discrimination than a Dutch person in France would experience. People in Europe mostly think that Canada is a sort of low-fat America.

    I know a Canadian guy with an engineering degree (from a Canadian university) who works for the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.

  5. Jul 10, 2008 #4
    Oedipaa maas: the allusions are all wrong I think. I certainly mean that Canada is a western -style country. Almost a model western one. But I also put a little info in parenthesis for the non-western people on this forum which lurks and also are avid readers/posters that scrounges for information on this subject.
  6. Jul 12, 2008 #5
    Thank you for all the replies and I wouldn't worry at all about the cultural aspects of working in europe, but more over the academic requirements.

    Looking at some oil positions in Scandinavia I was stunned to see that there were Jr. Engineering positions requiring a masters which I found odd when in Canada only about 10-15% of engineering undergrads continue towards a masters degree. This kind of worries me as I'm not sure if a masters would be required to obtain a license in Europe. I know foreigners in Canada have a very hard time getting their PEng in Canada especially if their degrees aren't recognized. (I think this maybe employment protectionism more then anything else, not that I agree with it)
  7. Jul 12, 2008 #6
    Hi. In Europe very few students actually do the BEng, most doing MEng in the form of a four or five year undergraduate course.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook