1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering in the US

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    :uhh: hey,

im a bristish student, and consider really seriously applying to IV league unis in america (MIT, Stanford, princeton) but plz tell me what kind of courses they have, normally in england i would study electronic and electical engineering but i saw that you had so many different courses there, so plz tell me about these...
    also, i have not taken any SAT's and do not know much about them really, so can anyone tell me which ones you have to take to study engineering and when, and how hard are they?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, but plz this is urgent!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2
    well usually in electrical engineering, they make you specialize. micro electronics, telecommunications, etc. electrical engineering is too broad of a discipline to have every student taking the same courses, so you generally need to take a specialized "track" in EE.

a lot of people i know at my university, where the engineering department is highly regarded and it's not even an Ivy League, it is difficult. i can only imagine an Ivy League. a lot of my buddies spend 5-7 hours on a lab report, projects, etc. a lot of group work is stressed also.

btw, for the SAT, you will most likely need a 800 Math Score, and like a 98% percentile in Verbal and the new section Writing. along with great grades, good reccomendations and good extra cirricular to get into Harvard, MIT, schools like that

i got into Stony Brook Honors College and i also got into Columbia with a 1550 (i took the old version of the SAT) and a 91 average. obviously, Columbia is way too expensive

good luck man, also look at public universities like Stony Brook, Michigan, the UC colleges. its good to be ambitious, but it is also good to have strong choices that are tangible

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  4. Jul 28, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hate to break this news to you, but MIT and Stanford (2 out of 3 in your list) are NOT part of the Ivy League schools. And not only that, Ivy Leaguers in general are not known for their engineering programs [points to Harvard, Brown, etc.].

Zz.

5. Jul 28, 2005 #4
    yeah good point, they are more for Math, Physics, Law, Medicine

if you are looking for top notch, cream of the crop engineering schools:
    Cal Tech
    MIT
    Fu Foundation at Columbia

but again, also look for good schools that fly under the radar. Do not bother going to NYU to do engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology does their engineering programs, so just apply to Stevens instead of NYU, for example. at Stevens they give good aid, they have good co-op programs and job placement. just using that as an example rather than a suggestion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?