Navigating the Transition from School to Work: Tips for Engineers

In summary, the individual started their first engineering job a year ago, which is also their first full-time job. Their boss believes they need to make improvements and catch up to their coworkers who have been there for several years. The individual wants a successful career but struggles with getting tasks done, dealing with pressure and deadlines, multitasking, and applying their knowledge to troubleshoot and solve problems. They did well in school but struggle in their job and feel anxious and depressed. They are the youngest in the office and feel looked down upon for their mistakes. They seek advice on how to improve and cope with their job's stressful environment, and consider therapy as an option. They also suggest talking to their boss and more senior coworkers for guidance.
rustled_jimmy
hi all, i started my first job in engineering about a year ago and this is actually my first full time job ever. my boss thinks that i really need to make a lot of improvements though and that i should be caught up with my coworkers that have been working there for several years. i really want to have a successful career but i need to improve on getting tasks done, dealing with pressure related to deadlines, multitasking, and etc. also applying my knowledge to be more useful in situations where i need to troubleshoot and solve problems.

i did really well in my program during school and got really good grades. i worked hard and even drastically reduced my social life because of how much i needed to concentrate especially since i am on the autism spectrum.

im very depressed that I am not meeting expecations though and i don't know why i did so well in school with difficult, technical topics yet i struggle with basic troubleshooting under pressure. also because I am the youngest in the office, i feel looked down upon and that every mistake i make or incorrect statement i make will be immediate scrutinized and judged before i can even try to explain or correct myself. i have so much anxiety that i feel sick to my stomache and don't look forward to coming to work anymore. i love the field that i work in, but the environment of my job is ruthless. i don't know if my boss remembers that we were all once inexperienced and that it takes a few years to become proficient at one's job(what my parents are saying but that might be too slow in the engineering field, i would just feel more anxious and depressed if that were true)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch, I feel you brotha.

I deployed as a System Administrator and ended up being the go-to guy who fixed anything that ran on electricity and had to McGiver things together. It was very stressful because I really didn't know what I was doing (hell I was just a system admin) and made many mistakes, caused power outages, and felt I was doing more harm than good.

Without a consistent internet connect or even technical manuals, life was hard.

I can't advise you on what you should do, but here's what I did to flip my situation...I told my boss that I really wanted to do well, that I knew I made a few (many) mistakes, and asked him what I could do to improve.

You could start by talking to your boss and maybe even some of the more senior co-workers. Ask them what they think you can do to improve because you really want to do well. No one should feel anxiety doing what they love. Therapy wouldn't hurt either, as they can give you the tools you need to deal with stressful situations.

The worst thing you can do is not say anything. Believe it or not, some people really don't remember what it was like being inexperienced especially if they've been at it for decades.

Did you actually finish school or did you land your job before you finished?

What are the main differences between an engineering job and school?

The main difference between an engineering job and school is that in a job, you are applying the knowledge and skills you learned in school to real-world problems and projects. In school, you are still learning and honing your skills through coursework and projects.

Do you need to have a degree in engineering to get an engineering job?

While having a degree in engineering is helpful and often required for certain positions, it is not always necessary. Many employers also value relevant work experience and skills over a specific degree. However, having a degree may open up more opportunities for advancement in your career.

Is the job market for engineers competitive?

The job market for engineers can vary depending on your field and location. Some industries may have a high demand for engineers, while others may be more competitive. It is important to research the job market in your desired field and location to understand the level of competition.

What skills and qualities are important for an engineering job?

Some important skills and qualities for an engineering job include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, communication, and teamwork. Additionally, having a strong understanding of math, science, and technology is essential for most engineering positions.

How can I balance working as an engineer and continuing my education?

Balancing work and continuing education can be challenging, but it is possible. Some options for balancing both include taking online courses, attending part-time or evening classes, or pursuing a graduate degree while working. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to ensure success in both areas.