1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Joint probability problem

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

axial load in an interior column in a two-story building is a random variable Y described as the sum of the floor loads X1 and X2 the floor load each is a normally distributed random variable with a mean value of 90kn.m and a coefficient of variation of .20. The random variables X1 and X2 are independent.

A)-Compute the mean and std deviation of Y
    B)-If the resistance of the column R is a normal random variate with a mean of 270KN and a coefficient of variation of .20, compute the probability of failure of the column assuming that Y and R are statistically independent

2. Relevant equations

Im just kinda confused on where to get started, I believe the function is continuous but I don't know what the bounds are nor do I know what the function actually looks like.
    It says the function is normally distributed so I think it would be the standard normal density function phi(x-mean/std dev) and since there are two and they are independent it should be squared. I do not know what the target value is either. But i might be wrong and my approach might be totally off, my book doesn't really provide any examples on how to deal with a problem like this...

I think you have to solve b the same way you would solve for a, but I just don't know how to deal with a.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my attempt attached here, I think it might all be wrong...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?