Engineering Major Interested In Physics

In summary, if you want to continue learning more in physics, I would recommend taking a course in Advanced Classical Mechanics and studying topics in mathematics such as Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, and Complex Analysis.
Nick M
I've finished General Physics w/Calculus I and II, but would like to continue learning more on the side. I've been re-reading the mechanics portion of my text, and plan to re-read the E&M sections after I take Multivariate Calculus this fall (we used Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition - Halliday/Resnick/Walker).

My question is, "Where do I go from here?". I've already taken Linear Algebra, and will be taking Differential Equations in the spring. Is there additional mathematics people might recommend? I picked up "Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by R.W. Hamming. Is this a good read?

I will be taking versions of Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics for my major which is taught in the Engineering department, so that might give me some satisfaction in those areas. I've also picked up the supplemental chapters for my Physics book which amount to being a good teaser for Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Matter Waves, and Nuclear Physics. I also picked up "Quantum Theory" by David Bohm which looks like a semi-substantial read.

Where should I go from here? What area of Physics should I delve into after I feel very comfortable with my text from General Physics I & II?

Physics news on Phys.org
What other mathematics would be beneficial to further my understanding?If you are looking to further your understanding of physics, the best place to start is with a course in Advanced Classical Mechanics. This course will cover topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, rigid body dynamics, and non-inertial frames. These topics will give you a deeper understanding of the mechanics topics covered in your General Physics classes.In terms of mathematics, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are essential for furthering your understanding of physics. You can also look into courses such as Vector Calculus and Complex Analysis. These courses provide the mathematical tools necessary for understanding more advanced topics in physics such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. As far as books, I would recommend picking up a textbook on Advanced Classical Mechanics (Goldstein is a classic) as well as an introductory book on quantum mechanics (Griffiths is a good choice). Additionally, picking up a book on mathematical methods for physics (Arfken is a good choice) will provide you with the necessary mathematical tools to understand more advanced topics in physics.

As a fellow scientist, I understand your enthusiasm for continuing to learn and explore different areas of physics. It's great that you have taken the initiative to re-read your textbooks and are planning to take additional math courses to supplement your understanding. Based on your current progress and interests, there are a few suggestions I can offer for where to go from here.

First, I would recommend delving deeper into the topics of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. These are fundamental concepts in engineering and having a strong understanding of them will be beneficial for your major. You can also consider taking advanced courses in these areas or exploring research opportunities in related fields.

Second, since you mentioned your interest in relativity and quantum mechanics, I would suggest exploring these topics further. You could start by reading the supplemental chapters in your physics book and then move on to more advanced textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths or "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard F. Schutz. These subjects are complex and require a solid understanding of mathematics, so it's great that you are planning to take additional math courses that will support your learning.

Additionally, I would recommend seeking out research opportunities or joining a physics club at your university. This will give you hands-on experience and a chance to apply your knowledge in a practical setting. It's also a great way to network and learn from other students and professors in the field.

Finally, I would suggest keeping an open mind and exploring different areas of physics. There are many fascinating subfields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics that you may find interesting. Don't be afraid to try new things and see where your curiosity takes you.

Overall, it's important to continue challenging yourself and seeking out new opportunities for learning and growth. With your strong foundation in physics and mathematics, I have no doubt that you will excel in whatever path you choose to pursue. Best of luck in your journey!

What is an engineering major interested in physics?

An engineering major interested in physics is a student who is pursuing a degree in engineering with a focus on the principles and theories of physics. This combination of disciplines allows students to understand the fundamental laws and concepts of physics and apply them to engineering problems and designs.

What career opportunities are available for someone with an engineering major interested in physics?

There are many career opportunities for someone with an engineering major interested in physics. Some common fields include aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and materials science. These professionals may work in industries such as transportation, energy, technology, and research.

What skills are important for an engineering major interested in physics?

An engineering major interested in physics should have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking. They should also have a good understanding of physics principles and the ability to apply them to real-world situations. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in this field.

Is an engineering major interested in physics a challenging program?

Yes, pursuing an engineering major interested in physics can be a challenging program. It requires a strong aptitude for math and science, as well as dedication and hard work. However, the rewards can be great, as this combination of disciplines can lead to a wide range of exciting and fulfilling career opportunities.

What are the benefits of studying engineering and physics together?

Studying engineering and physics together allows students to gain a deeper understanding of both disciplines and how they can be applied together. This combination of knowledge and skills can make graduates highly sought after in various industries. It also allows for a more well-rounded education and the ability to tackle complex problems from different perspectives.