Engineering Majors - What's Your Speciality?

In summary, the conversation is about the different engineering specialities that the participants are studying or have studied. One person started with Aerospace but switched to Mechanical due to it being too challenging, while another started with Aerospace but switched to Physics and Mathematics. One participant is currently studying Aerospace with a focus on space systems, while another is working on digital circuits verification in the electrical/computer field. The conversation also mentions potential job opportunities in the aerospace and mechanical fields.

So what's you engineering speciality?

• Mechanical Engineering

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Aerospace Engineering

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Chemical Engineering/Biomolecular Engineering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering

• Biomedical Engineering

• Industrial Engineering

• Fiber and Textile Engineering

• Material Engineering

• Another branch of Engineering I failed to mention

• Total voters
Sting
I had no clue where to place this but Tech. seems like a good place.

This is a Physics Forums but I know of plenty engineering majors that roam here. The question is, what's your engineering speciality?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I started with Aerospace and it was cool, but it kicked my ass so I switched to Mechanical.

Wow, I started off with Aerospace as well but realized that I liked more of the Physics and Mathematics part so I switched over to those majors.

And I'm in aerospace currently. My focus is in the space systems track.

right now, digital circuits verification so I voted electrical/computer

Originally posted by enigma
And I'm in aerospace currently. My focus is in the space systems track.
I was aero/aero. I wanted to design (and fly) fighter jets.

Mechanical isn't a bad alternative though. Lockheed has a plant near here where they are hiring ME's to build/test GPS satellites. Plus (obviously) there are a lot of mechanical parts in an airplane.

1. What is an engineering major?

An engineering major is a field of study that focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and improve structures, machines, processes, and systems.

2. What are the different specializations in engineering?

Some common specializations in engineering include mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. There are also more niche specializations such as aerospace, biomedical, environmental, and industrial engineering.

3. How do I choose a specialization in engineering?

Choosing a specialization in engineering depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It is important to research the different fields and speak with advisors or professionals in the specific area to gain a better understanding of the field and its potential opportunities.

4. What skills are important for engineering majors?

Engineering majors should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math and science. Other important skills include creativity, attention to detail, communication, and teamwork.

5. What career opportunities are available for engineering majors?

Engineering majors have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, transportation, healthcare, and technology. Some common job titles include engineer, project manager, consultant, researcher, and educator.