1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mechanics (Chapter: General Case of Force in a Plane) of First Semester

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform bar AB of length l and weight W is hinged to the wall at its end A and supported by means of a string of length a which is tied to the wall as shown. Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] that the bar will make with the wall corresponding to the position of equilibrium
    Untitled.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Moment = Force X perpendicular distance

3. The attempt at a solution

I had tried to find moment about point A. I had resolved W and T (tension in the string BC) into rectangular components. One along the bar and other perpendicular to the bar. along the bar components will not add to the moments at A while the perpendicular components will get multiplied by the distance (For T and W, l and l/2 respectively) and added according to sign convention (anticlock wise rotation as positive and clockwise rotation as negative). but because the angle ABC is getting too bulky (complicated), I don't think I can anyhow end this problem with answer. Need your immediate help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    Re: Engineering Mechanics (Chapter: General Case of Force in a Plane) of First Semest

More info:

W acts from the center of the bar.

angle A = [tex]\theta[/tex]

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    Re: Engineering Mechanics (Chapter: General Case of Force in a Plane) of First Semest

Are you sure there isn't another bit of information?

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

very sure!

6. Sep 17, 2010 #5

There isn't enough information to solve the problem. You need to know where 'C' is.

7. Sep 17, 2010 #6

In the diagram attached (I hope it does) it shows the 3 forces W RA and RC meeting at the midpoint of the string. The two triangles (G for geometry, and F for forces) should be similar, and there should be enough information to conclude all the dimensions and forces. The only dimension not shown is the horizontal projection of the G triangle, and that is L/2*(cos theta). But there still is not enough information to bring this to completion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. Dec 2, 2011 #7

I want the solutions of all the problem i.e in this chapter. So please help me in solving the problem of this chapter...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook