Find Equilibrium: Solving a Uniform Bar Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle \theta that a uniform bar AB, of length l and weight W, makes with the wall when it is hinged at point A and supported by a string of length a tied to the wall. The attempt at a solution involved finding the moments about point A by resolving the weight and tension in the string into rectangular components. However, due to the complexity of the angle ABC, it was not possible to solve the problem without additional information. The provided diagram shows the forces and dimensions involved, but the horizontal projection of the triangle is still unknown, making it impossible to find the angle \theta.
snshusat161

Homework Statement

A uniform bar AB of length l and weight W is hinged to the wall at its end A and supported by means of a string of length a which is tied to the wall as shown. Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] that the bar will make with the wall corresponding to the position of equilibrium
Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment = Force X perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I had tried to find moment about point A. I had resolved W and T (tension in the string BC) into rectangular components. One along the bar and other perpendicular to the bar. along the bar components will not add to the moments at A while the perpendicular components will get multiplied by the distance (For T and W, l and l/2 respectively) and added according to sign convention (anticlock wise rotation as positive and clockwise rotation as negative). but because the angle ABC is getting too bulky (complicated), I don't think I can anyhow end this problem with answer. Need your immediate help.

Physics news on Phys.org

More info:

W acts from the center of the bar.

angle A = [tex]\theta[/tex]

Are you sure there isn't another bit of information?

very sure!

There isn't enough information to solve the problem. You need to know where 'C' is.

In the diagram attached (I hope it does) it shows the 3 forces W RA and RC meeting at the midpoint of the string. The two triangles (G for geometry, and F for forces) should be similar, and there should be enough information to conclude all the dimensions and forces. The only dimension not shown is the horizontal projection of the G triangle, and that is L/2*(cos theta). But there still is not enough information to bring this to completion.

Attachments

• physics 30001.jpg
    physics 30001.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

I want the solutions of all the problem i.e in this chapter. So please help me in solving the problem of this chapter...

What is the "Find Equilibrium: Solving a Uniform Bar Problem"?

The "Find Equilibrium: Solving a Uniform Bar Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the position where a uniform bar will be in equilibrium, or balanced, when it is suspended from two points.

What is the purpose of solving this problem?

The purpose of solving this problem is to understand the concept of equilibrium and how it applies to real-life situations. It also helps to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem include the forces acting on the bar, such as weight, tension, and torque, as well as the properties of equilibrium, such as the net force and net torque being equal to zero.

What are the steps to solve this problem?

The steps to solve this problem are as follows:

1. Draw a diagram of the problem, labeling all known and unknown quantities.
  2. Identify all the forces acting on the bar and their directions.
  3. Write down the equations for equilibrium, including the net force and net torque equations.
  4. Solve the equations simultaneously to find the unknown quantity, which is the position of equilibrium.

What are some tips for solving this problem?

Some tips for solving this problem include drawing a clear and accurate diagram, carefully labeling all forces and their directions, using the correct equations for equilibrium, and checking your final answer for reasonableness.