1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mechanics-Friction

1. Jan 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the maximum load G [N] placed on the incline of an angle α, to ensure the
    equilibrium of the system shown. The beam of length (a + b) is weightless and the
    friction coefficient μ is only between the load G and the incline.

I have uploaded the question.
    Untitled.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to solve the question and am not able to solve further. Could anyone please help. I have uploaded the solution.
    IMG_20150125_134950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi mohdapadela, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I suggest that you start by analyzing the force P and lever ab to determine another expression for the tension in the rope. For the system to be in equilibrium the tension provided by lever must balance the tension produced by the load.

It would be preferable if you would type in your equations and provide some description of what you are trying to accomplish at each step. It is very difficult for helpers to comment on details of your work when it is in an image.

4. Jan 25, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Especially blurry images which aren't rotated so you can read them. :mad:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted