Engineering mechanics question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the force in P and the corresponding value of a when two cables are tied together at point C. The maximum tension allowed in each cable is 800N. The suggested approach is to resolve all forces into their vertical and horizontal components instead of using the sine law.
Dfresh

Homework Statement

Two cables are tied together at C as shown below. Knowing that the maximum tension in each cable is 800N, determine:
a) the force in P that can be applied on C
b) The corresponding value of a
Link to diagram
http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/two-cables-tied-together-c-loaded-shown-knowing-maximum-allo-chapter-2-problem-61p-solution-9780077414214-exc

Homework Equations

sine law

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I drew a FBD, and realized that you can have a max of 800N in each rope. However, what I'm stuck on is trying to rearrange the diagram so I can solve it using the sine law. It seems I'm always having two unknown angles and one unknown side.I need some help with trying to decipher the force triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says you have to use the sine law?

Chet

Dfresh said:
what I'm stuck on is trying to rearrange the diagram so I can solve it using the sine law. It seems I'm always having two unknown angles and one unknown side.I need some help with trying to decipher the force triangle.
You could first resolve all forces into their vertical and horizontal components ...

1. What is Engineering Mechanics?

Engineering Mechanics is a branch of science that deals with the study of motion and forces on objects. It involves the application of physics and mathematics principles to solve engineering problems.

2. What are the different types of forces in Engineering Mechanics?

The different types of forces in Engineering Mechanics include gravity, normal force, friction, tension, compression, shear, and torsion. These forces act on objects and can either be internal or external.

3. What is the difference between statics and dynamics in Engineering Mechanics?

Statics deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics deals with the study of objects in motion. In Engineering Mechanics, statics is used to analyze and design structures, while dynamics is used to understand the behavior of moving objects.

4. How is Engineering Mechanics used in real life?

Engineering Mechanics is used in various fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and biomechanics. It is applied in the design and analysis of structures, machines, vehicles, and other mechanical systems to ensure their safety, efficiency, and functionality.

5. What are some common applications of Engineering Mechanics?

Some common applications of Engineering Mechanics include analyzing and designing bridges, buildings, and other structures; designing and testing machines and engines; predicting the motion and behavior of vehicles and aircraft; and understanding the biomechanics of human movement.