Engineering or Applied Math in graduate School

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on pursuing a graduate degree in Applied Mathematics or Engineering in order to be marketable to domestic intelligence agencies and engineering firms. They have a degree in mathematics and are interested in areas such as optimization and data mining. They are concerned about the job prospects with a degree in applied math and are considering civil engineering, but are unsure about the time and requirements for obtaining a professional engineering license. They are seeking help in finding a program that combines applied math and engineering and would be desired by employers such as the CIA and Boeing.
Badjuju270
Greetings from Ca. brothers and sisters of the scientific ilk. I seek your guidance out of the fog that is the many choices of life. First, the bio: I am a 30 year old math teacher that hates teaching high school. I've decided to go to graduate school to pursue my calling--what ever it is. I am certain it is Applied Mathematics or Engineering.

I have a degree in mathematics (not mathematics education but proof based math) and think applied math might fit my needs. My needs are to be marketable to one of the domestic intelligence agencies (CIA, NSA, GIA, etc.) and engineering firms (Boeing). I like optimization and think data mining is interesting. My concern is that I will not be desirable to desired employers with a degree in applied math. Looking at the research areas of prospective graduate institutions, I find the material they are studying boring; this might be because they are using math jargon that goes over my head to describe their research topics. Maybe I have not found the right institution. If you can point me to an institution that is doing research coupling applied math and engineering, I would be grateful.

Civil engineering is tempting. I think I would be happy helping the nation make repairs on its dying bridges. The strikes against engineering are: 1) Since I have no undergraduate degree in engineering, I think I will have to spend 2 years taking foundation courses before I am allowed to start graduate work; this means I would spend atleast 4 years getting masters in civil engineering. 2) I've read since I lack an under-grad. in engineering, I will not be able to get the professional engineering license--isn't this important to employers?

Are my concerns valid? I guess I want your help finding a program that offers a degree that would give me a skill that would be desired by the Intelligence Directorate of the CIA and the Phantom Works division of Boeing. Respond quickly--the application deadline for a lot of graduate programs is fast approaching. Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! It sounds like you have a lot of questions about what path to pursue. In terms of applied math, the best option may be to pursue an interdisciplinary degree that combines mathematics and engineering. Many universities offer such programs, and they often involve coursework in both disciplines, with a focus on applying the mathematics to engineering problems. Depending on the specific program, you may also be able to specialize in a particular area, such as data mining or optimization. In terms of engineering, it is possible to pursue a master's degree without having an undergraduate degree in engineering, though it may require additional coursework. However, it is not necessary to obtain a professional engineering license in order to work for many employers, including the intelligence agencies and Boeing. Depending on the position, employers may prefer experience over licensure. Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific goals and interests. You may want to look into the specific requirements of the programs that interest you and research the kinds of job opportunities available at the employers you are targeting. Good luck with your decision!

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking guidance in your decision to pursue a graduate degree in either Applied Mathematics or Engineering. Both fields are highly valuable and can lead to exciting and fulfilling careers.

Based on your background and interests, it seems like Applied Mathematics would be a good fit for you. Your degree in mathematics, along with your interest in optimization and data mining, make you well-suited for this field. While it is true that some employers may prefer candidates with a degree specifically in engineering, having a strong foundation in mathematics and specialized skills in applied math can also make you a desirable candidate for many positions. In fact, many engineering firms and government agencies, such as the ones you mentioned, often seek out individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which you possess as a math major.

I understand your concerns about not being able to find a graduate program that aligns with your interests and goals. However, I encourage you to continue researching and reaching out to different institutions to find the right fit for you. You may also want to consider interdisciplinary programs that combine both applied math and engineering, as they may offer a more tailored curriculum to your interests. Some examples of such programs include Computational Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Operations Research.

As for your concerns about the time and effort required to obtain a degree in civil engineering, it is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider what will ultimately make you happy and fulfilled in your career. While it may take longer to obtain a degree in engineering, the skills and knowledge you will gain can open up many opportunities for you in the future. Additionally, not all engineering positions require a professional engineering license, so it may not necessarily be a barrier to your desired career path.

In conclusion, I recommend exploring programs that combine applied math and engineering, and also considering your long-term career goals and what will make you happy and fulfilled. I wish you all the best in your graduate school journey and I am confident that you will find the right program for you.

What is the difference between engineering and applied math in graduate school?

Engineering focuses on the practical application of mathematical principles to design and create solutions for real-world problems, while applied math focuses on using mathematical theories and techniques to analyze and solve complex problems in various fields.

What are the job opportunities for a graduate with a degree in engineering or applied math?

Graduates with a degree in engineering can work in a variety of industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and energy. Those with a degree in applied math can work in fields such as finance, data analysis, and research and development.

Do I need a strong background in math to pursue a graduate degree in engineering or applied math?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful, many graduate programs in engineering or applied math offer courses to help students build their skills. It is important to have a strong interest and aptitude for math to succeed in these fields.

What are the core courses in a graduate program in engineering or applied math?

The core courses in a graduate program in engineering may include subjects like mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and computer-aided design. Applied math programs may include courses on differential equations, numerical analysis, statistics, and optimization.

What skills will I develop in a graduate program in engineering or applied math?

In addition to technical skills, graduate programs in engineering and applied math also focus on developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Students will also gain hands-on experience through research projects and internships.