Engineering or physics/math major

In summary, the individual is currently considering majoring in Optical Engineering or double majoring in Physics/Math at the University of Arizona. They are attracted to the university's top-rated Optics program, which offers a combination of physics and engineering courses. However, they are also interested in Theoretical Physics, which may not directly relate to Optical Engineering. The individual is aware that the Optics program is intensive and may require an extra semester or two to complete, but they are open to taking it at a slower pace. They are also drawn to the engineering-like aspects and potential starting salaries of an Optical Engineering degree, but are considering physics/math as a potential alternative. While the Physics department at the University of Arizona is not top-tier, the individual is
ObHassell
I have a few choices of what to do in college and I'm going to make my decision after the first year or two, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on my thoughts about either majoring in Optical Engineering or double Majoring in Physics/Math.

I'll be going to the University of Arizona, they have a top rated Optics program which has lots of physics and engineering in it so that sounds really cool and stuff, but I'm also interested in Theoretical Physics topics that have nothing to do with anything Optical (except that an Optical Engineer would prolly help design the technology to do the research).

The Optics program is effectively cramming 5 years into 4...it even says basically on the website that there are tons of stuff to go over so most take an extra semester or two to finish. I'd prolly take 5 years just to take it in with moderation. I like engineering-like stuff and I especially like the starting salaries, but I don't know if I should do physics/math instead.

The Physics department isn't top tier at the U of A, but it isn't bad either and I'd just be double-majoring to augment my physics. I love physics, but the math can sometimes be difficult, but I'm not scared of it...actually I find myself relaxed and enjoying myself when I work on problems (even if the math is kickin my butt).

Physics news on Phys.org
Plus, I'm interested in Astronomy, which requires a physics degree and I'd like to eventually get a Ph.D. in it. Any advice on which way I should go?

I can offer some insights into your dilemma. Both engineering and physics/math are excellent choices for a major in college, and it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

If you are interested in the design and development of optical technology, then an Optical Engineering major would be a great fit for you. This program will provide you with a strong foundation in both engineering and physics principles, which are essential for designing and optimizing optical systems. Additionally, the University of Arizona's top-rated Optics program will likely offer you many hands-on opportunities to work with cutting-edge technology and conduct research in this field.

However, if you are also interested in theoretical physics topics, then a double major in Physics/Math could also be a good option for you. This route will allow you to delve deeper into the fundamental principles and theories of physics, which could complement your engineering skills and provide a broader perspective on the field. While the Physics department may not be top-tier at the University of Arizona, you can still have access to resources and opportunities to conduct research and gain practical experience.

Ultimately, it is important to consider your long-term career goals and interests when making this decision. Both paths can lead to rewarding and fulfilling careers, and it is possible to combine your interests in both engineering and physics/math in your future career. It is also worth noting that you can always switch or add a major later on in your college career if you find that your interests shift.

In terms of the workload and time commitment, it is important to find a balance that works for you. Taking on a double major or a challenging engineering program can be demanding, but it is also important to make sure you have time for other activities and experiences outside of your studies.

Overall, my advice would be to explore both options and see which one aligns more with your interests and goals. You can also speak with advisors, professors, and current students in both programs to get a better understanding of the coursework and career opportunities. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between an engineering major and a physics/math major?

An engineering major focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and analyze structures, machines, systems, and processes. A physics/math major emphasizes the theoretical and mathematical aspects of these subjects, with an emphasis on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

2. Which major is more challenging, engineering or physics/math?

Both majors require a strong foundation in math and science, so they can both be challenging. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Some may find engineering more challenging due to the hands-on and practical nature of the coursework, while others may struggle with the complex mathematical concepts in physics or math.

3. What career opportunities are available for engineering or physics/math majors?

Engineering majors have a wide range of career options, such as working in aerospace, civil, mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering. They can also pursue careers in fields such as computer science, environmental science, or biotechnology. Physics/math majors can work in research and development, education, or data analysis in industries such as aerospace, energy, finance, or technology.

4. Is it possible to double major in engineering and physics/math?

Yes, it is possible to double major in engineering and physics/math. However, it may require careful planning and a heavy course load, as both majors have a significant amount of coursework. It is important to consult with an advisor to ensure that all requirements for both majors are met.

5. What skills are important for success as an engineering or physics/math major?

Strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and a solid foundation in math and science are crucial for success in both engineering and physics/math majors. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills, as well as an interest in technology and innovation, can also be beneficial for these majors.