• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Engineering or Physics

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Skyenet
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So, I am currently in the process of applying to universities, and I have narrowed it down to three main candidates:
MSci, Astrophysics (At Aberystwyth University)
MEng, Aerospace Engineering (At Swansea University)
BEng, Robotics & Space Science (Not really relevant to the question) (At Aberystwyth University)
Now, I have a dilemma I suspect I may be facing if/when I get replies saying I've gotten offers from both Astrophysics and Aerospace Engineering. You see, I have always been interested in space, ever since I was about 10 years old. This is why I want to go into Astrophysics, but I just realized, I really have no idea what an Astrophysicist does, and if it is a career choice I want to make. You see, as an Aerospace Engineer I know I can work in Defense, Space, Aircraft, and so on. I know it pays well, and I am interested in it. The first parts, I am not too sure about with regards to Astrophysics. I have no idea what kind of careers there are with a Master (Or, alternatively an add-on to a Doctorate, probably in the US) in Astrophysics. The pay I am not so worried about, because if it is interesting work, I don't really care.
So, what I am seeking is advice on what kind of careers there are in Astrophysics and if there is a high chance of me standing there with a Master or Doctorate without a job at the end.

Answers and Replies

So, I am currently in the process of applying to universities, and I have narrowed it down to three main candidates:
MSci, Astrophysics (At Aberystwyth University)
MEng, Aerospace Engineering (At Swansea University)
BEng, Robotics & Space Science (Not really relevant to the question) (At Aberystwyth University)
Now, I have a dilemma I suspect I may be facing if/when I get replies saying I've gotten offers from both Astrophysics and Aerospace Engineering. You see, I have always been interested in space, ever since I was about 10 years old. This is why I want to go into Astrophysics, but I just realized, I really have no idea what an Astrophysicist does, and if it is a career choice I want to make. You see, as an Aerospace Engineer I know I can work in Defense, Space, Aircraft, and so on. I know it pays well, and I am interested in it. The first parts, I am not too sure about with regards to Astrophysics. I have no idea what kind of careers there are with a Master (Or, alternatively an add-on to a Doctorate, probably in the US) in Astrophysics. The pay I am not so worried about, because if it is interesting work, I don't really care.
So, what I am seeking is advice on what kind of careers there are in Astrophysics and if there is a high chance of me standing there with a Master or Doctorate without a job at the end.
You're better off doing the degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Swansea. It's more reputable, particularly in Science/Engineering, and you'll have better career options than if you did an astrophysics or robotics degree at Aberystwyth. You could always do the BEng at Swansea, followed by an MSc in Space Engineering and Astronautics at Cranfield for instance.

To get an idea of what kinds of jobs are available with a degree ... think about who would voluntarily give you money to use your skills. I.e. where do you produce value?

There are a large number of companies making a lot of money producing aerospace products.

Astrophysics is only (meagerly) funded by the government. Therefore to work in astrophysics you would have to get a PhD and do research at a university (very difficult to get such positions).

Of course, the skills you learn in an astro program (math, physics, programming, perhaps some electronics) are transferable. So with an astro degree you would have to sell yourself as a programmer, engineer, or possibly quant.